The three main areas of costs to consider are: tuition fees, daily living costs and travel costs (it would be beneficial for you to calculate how much your course is going to cost before you accept a place). 

Tuition Fees

Students from the European Union (EU) and the European Economic Area (EEA), which includes EU countries, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway, are exempt from tuition fees*. This also applies to students from Switzerland. Students from the accessional states who joined the EU on 1 May 2004 (Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Malta, Slovenia, Slovakia, Cyprus, Czech Republic) have full EU/EEA rights and are exempt from tuition fees*.

* Full time, non advanced courses only.

Students Outwith EU/EEA

If you are not from an EU country you will pay overseas fees. Our tuition fees change every year. The College will require a full payment of £6,500 for HNC/HND/Degree studies in the academic year 2013/14. Please contact our International Co-ordinator for further details and for information and the requirements for the UKBA Tier 4 Student visa – email or telephone: 01592 223831.   

Return to top 

Sources of Funding for International Students

Students from member countries of the EU, outside the UK, are eligible to apply to the Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS) for payment of their tuition fees if they meet certain conditions. Payment for tuition fees is subject to means testing. SAAS can supply you with details about the application procedure – visit the Students Awards Agency for Scotland.

Non-EU students may first wish to contact their own Ministry of Education or Education Department for information about scholarship opportunities for students wishing to study abroad. They can also advise you about your own government’s conditions for studying abroad.

The British government and other UK organisations provide a number of scholarships and awards to help international students study in the UK. You should contact your nearest British Council Office for details of these schemes. If there is no British Council Office contact the British Embassy or High Commission. Please take into consideration there will be no college or public funds available to assist with living and tuition costs.

Council Tax – Governmental Tax on Housing

The Council Tax is levied on property and is the principal form of local taxation, which contributes towards local services. Students are largely exempt from paying it. If you live in a Hall of Residence, student house or a place where all the residents are students, for example, you will not be required to pay it. If you live with non-students you may have to contribute to the council tax. International students’ partners are exempt from paying council tax as long as they are not permitted to work during their stay in the United Kingdom.

Banking Advice

It is advisable to open a bank account shortly after your arrival. All major banks offer special facilities for students and will be happy to explain how to open an account. You will need: your passport, College letter of acceptance and all your existing bank details (name, address, bank account number etc.) when opening a bank account.

There are two main types of bank accounts which may be appropriate for international students. These are interest bearing deposit accounts and current accounts, which are cheque accounts.

Cost of Living

The cost of living varies from year to year. Current estimates for living and studying in the UK (2012/2013), excluding tuition fees are £6300 per academic year. This would cover accommodation, food, clothes, bills, entertainment, books and general day-to-day expenses. Both the British Council and Study UK websites offer updated guidelines for working out UK living expenses, in your own currency.

Useful Links

Tier 4 – UK Student Visa