Previously called HNC Social Care, this course is designed to meet the registration requirements to work in social care settings and is aimed at those who have some experience in working in care in either a paid or voluntary capacity. This is a 12 credit award with most of the units applied to work experience and placements. If you are a full-time student, placements will be arranged by the College to ensure that you can be supported in the application of theory and gain experience to evidence competency in the three work-based SVQ units integral to the course.
This course meets the Scottish Social Services Council (SSSC) requirements for registration for a variety of posts in the health and social care sector. For those working in or considering a career in residential childcare this, plus five other SVQ 3 units, meets requirements.
What You Study
- Care in contemporary society
- Lifespan development
- Care practice
- Health and wellbeing
- Graded unit
- Three units at SVQ Level 3
- Optional units
Duration and Attendance
- One year full-time
- 18 months - two years part-time
One of the following:
- Two Highers
- Full Group Award in NC Social Services (Access to HN Social Services and Social Work) plus a pass in one other Higher at Level A-C
- Full Group Award in NC Health and Social Care Higher (incorporating Access to Nursing) plus a pass in one other Higher at Level A-C
- Evidence of some work or experience in the care sector
- Evidence that you can meet the academic requirements of SCQF Level 7 with the submission of a written piece at interview if you do not meet any of the above and are looking for a change of career
Most placements have a minimum age requirement of 18 years.
You will need a PVG check through Disclosure Scotland in order to go out on the placement(s) as part of this course (visit disclosurescotland.co.uk for more information). If you are concerned about any information that may affect your PVG, you can contact our Guidance team to discuss this before submitting your application.
- HND Additional Support Needs: Managing and Supporting the Services
- Year 2 entry to BSc (Hons) Public Policy Sociology at Queen Margaret University Edinburgh (graded unit at B)
- Social Work degree programme at university (some universities will also ask for an English, ICT and/or Numeracy or Maths qualification)
- SVQ Level 3 Social Services and Healthcare (while working)
- May also be accepted for mental health nursing and midwifery
- Degrees in community learning and development
- Degrees in social sciences
- Care related services, for example residential schools, day-care facilities for the older adult and resource centres for adults with physical disabilities or learning difficulties
- Care home practitioner
- Housing support worker
- Various job roles in mental health, homelessness and looked-after children
- There will be a required interview even if you have the entry requirements
- You will be required to join the PVG scheme
- There is a large commitment of time to a work placement
- Most placements have a minimum age requirement of 18 years
For information on how to apply for funding for your course fees to be paid, funding options and other financial support available, please visit our Financing Your Studies page in our Student Information section.
While we make every attempt to ensure the accuracy of course information, this is
subject to change, as part of our continuous improvement process.
*Start and End dates refer to the week commencing date and the actual date could be any date within that week.