The purpose of the SVQ 2 in Barbering at SCQF Level 5 qualification is to provide you with the knowledge, skills and understanding to be a junior barber.
This qualification is designed for learners aged 16 years or over and has a variety of practical and theoretical units for you to achieve. You will be expected to gather evidence of both the practical skills and underpinning knowledge for each unit you study and create a ‘portfolio of evidence’ for the qualification.
This is an excellent and exciting opportunity for students to learn barbering techniques from a fantastic barber who currently works in a local, high standard, barber salon.
What You Study
The mandatory units include:
- Advising and consulting with clients
- Shampooing, conditioning and treating the hair and scalp
- Developing and maintaining your effectiveness at work
- Cutting hair using basic barbering techniques
- Cutting facial hair to shape using basic techniques
- Assisting with shaving services
- Drying and finishing men’s hair
- Creating basic outlines and detailing in hair
An additional unit you will study will be colouring and lightening men’s hair.
There is a mandatory work placement in a barber salon which comprises 6 hours a week minimum. Applicants are encouraged to have this established at the start of the course.
Duration and Attendance
- Duration: 34 weeks, 16 hours per week in College + 6 hours per week work placement
- An evening/twilight session may compromise part of your timetable
- Applicants must be 16 years old
- Applicants must have a work placement in a barbershop as part of their course
- 3 or 4 national 4s or above preferably one being English
- ESOL at SCQF5
- Applicants must have a good understanding of the industry
Junior barber in employment.
- You are required to purchase a kit (approx. £240)
- All black uniform is required on the course
Group interview and individual discussion.
For information on how to apply for funding for your course fees to be paid, funding options and other financial support available, please visit our Financing Your Studies page in our Student Information section.
While we make every attempt to ensure the accuracy of course information, this is
subject to change, as part of our continuous improvement process.
*Start and End dates refer to the week commencing date and the actual date could be any date within that week.