Do you have a passion for listening to Radio or Podcasts? Do You want to create content for listeners like you? Join us on this 2 year HND and develop your work-ready skills in our professional studios, help run BOOM our student radio station, support local radio stations as part of their street teams and much much more. You can progress to University or enter the world of work.
Our former students work with Forth FM, Clyde 1 and 2, BBC Scotland, BBC London, Wave FM, Inrix, Tay FM, Kingdom FM, Central FM and many more?
On this two-year HND you will be working in the College’s own multi-platform radio station, BOOM Radio where you will develop professional and personal skills in all aspects of radio to maximise your employment opportunities. We also have a great relationship with local stations that offer a range of work experience and guest speakers. Together we’ll help you find your niche.
Creative writing is also supported through extra-curricular activities and we are honoured to have the support of Ian Rankin through his scholarship. Students from journalism, radio and broadcast are invited to enter this prestigious award.
This course is endorsed by the University of Sunderland for progression to their BA (Hons) Media Production (Stage 3) course.
- Radio music programme production
- Visual communication: social media
- Radio interviewing
- Working in radio
- Radio station and technical operations
- Scripting and presenting
- Producing online content
- Law, ethics, compliance and the media
- Radio: advanced editing, features and news
- Radio commercials production
- Music scheduling
- Creative sound production
- Radio: branding and imaging
- Radio magazine production
As part of the course you will regularly broadcast via BOOM Radio and you may also have opportunities to undertake a work placement with local independent or community radio stations in a variety of posts.
- Two years full-time
One of the following:
- One Higher from English, Modern Studies, or Media at Level C or above plus two National 5s at Level C or above or equivalent (see our Qualifications Explained page for details) ideally from Media or Music/Music Technology
- National Certificate: Creative Industries: Broadcast Media SCQF Level 6
- National Certificate: Sound Production SCQF Level 6
- Another appropriate creative course at SCQF Level 6
- Mature students will be considered on an individual basis taking into account previous qualifications and experience
- For direct entry to year 2 you must have achieved HNC Creative Industries: Radio
- Radio journalist
- Freelance work
- Commercial producer
- Successful interview, ideally with a show-reel or portfolio of audio/media work