This is a one year, full-time course offering an attractive chance for university graduates to get practical experience in an area they may have studied in theory only. It offers HND graduates specialist training and offers part-time or not fully professional performers the chance to formalise their learning.
The course is a valuable opportunity for dancers, directors, teachers, or drama workers to explore physical theatre, movement, and devising skills, to show their work in a professional setting and to gain a unique qualification.
It has also attracted fine arts and sculpture graduates, street performers, singers, musicians, puppeteers, and a performance poet or two! There are live annual opportunities to work with professional practitioners and contemporary companies alongside a diploma showcase.
- Physical theatre performance skills
- Physical theatre production
- Movement in performance
- Integrated performance
Optional units could include:
- Scenography and direction
- Performance combat
- Advanced mask work
- Street/site responsive theatre
- Contextual studies
Our work may involve explorations in:
- Physical storytelling
- Neutral mask
- One year full-time
- You will be based at Summerhall in Edinburgh
- HND: Acting and Performance SCQF Level 8
- Relevant industry experience and/or other qualifications will be considered on an individual basis
- Successful workshop audition and an interview at Summerhall, Edinburgh. These are arranged periodically and you will be invited to attend
In addition, internal applicants will also require a positive Internal Learner Reference (ILR).
- Physical theatre practitioner/facilitator
- Independent performer
- Clown doctor
- Postgraduate study in relevant physical theatre courses throughout Europe
- Entry to postgraduate degree courses in performing arts by audition
- Online application
- Group workshop/audition