This course will provide you with the skills and qualifications required for entry to health and life sciences degrees, as well as professions allied to medicine. Scottish Wider Access Programmes, (SWAP) courses, are for adults who have few or no formal qualifications and who have been out of full-time education for at least three years (five years if you have Highers or an HNC/HND).
- Knowledge of science at SCQF Level 5 and 6 and Mathematics at SCQF Level 5 and 6. Develops generic skills such as IT, numeracy and communication.
- One year full-time
- The Core Skills of ICT, numeracy, and communication will be developed and certificated on this course
- Although there are no formal entry requirements for this course, a good general education with some maths and communication – ideally two National 4s – would be advantageous.
- Entry is by informal discussion where you will be asked to demonstrate that you have the relevant life skills to successfully complete the SWAP course.
- Evidence of life skills may include level of maturity, and experience of skills related to the potential choice of degree subject including paid employment or volunteering and awareness of subject choice.
- HNC: Applied Sciences SCQF Level 7
- Over 200 degrees at 12 universities - visit the SWAP East website to find out more about the degree progression routes with university partners
- Biomedical science degree
- On completion of the degree course, you will be qualified to enter a career in health and life sciences.