This course is a launch pad for progression to HNC level courses in computer games digital design or computer games development, and allows you to learn how a game is constructed from initial concept to final product.
You will learn more about 3D modelling and VR emerging technologies within the games industry which leads on to the 3D HNC.
This course also includes a flavour of eSports, where you will develop, contribute to and organise an eSports event. eSports is one of the most exciting and upcoming areas in the games and entertainment world at the moment.
- Digital Design
- Games Programming
- Animation Planning and Production
- 3D Modelling
- Drawing Skills and Concept Art
- 2D and 3D Animation
- One year full-time across approximately 3 days per week. Learners will have allocated additional learning time to be completed outside of class time.
- There will be an element of online learning.
- Computer games design, media assets, and development
- eSports element
- Emerging technologies and experiences
- Character creation
- Games programming
- 2D and 3D modelling and animation
- Animation skills
Those interested to progress to the HNC for Computer Games Development can study a Preparation for HN Maths unit to allow for progression.
Those who enjoy the creative design side of the course can study an Animation Project for progression to HNC Digital Design and Development (Games), HNC 3D Computer Animation or HNC Computer Arts.
Communication at SCQF Level 5 National
PLUS one of the following:
- Three other National 5's at Grade C or above. Preferred: National 5 Maths at Grade B or above
- Intermediate Certificate: Computer Games Design and Animation (with eSports) SCQF Level 5
- Note: National 5 Maths at Grade B or above will be required for some progression routes.
- HNC Digital Design & Development SCQF Level 7
- HNC 3D Computer Animation SCQF Level 7
- HNC Computer Games Development SCQF Level 7
- Games tester
- Games developer
- Game designer
- Virtual reality designer
- Augmented reality / virtual reality programmer
- Software developer
- Submit an online application.
- After this, you may be required to take part in an informal conversation as part of the application process. This group/individual conversation may be an information session, a portfolio discussion.
- You may also be required to sit a 45-minute maths diagnostic test.
- In the case of Fife school leavers, the College will request a transition form from the school.