This is an exciting and hands-on computing course suitable for school leavers or mature students who want to develop their skills in the rapidly growing areas of cyber security, software development and networking required for entering industry or further study at HNC/HND level. You will gain knowledge and experience in a range of computing disciplines which will give you a variety of options for study at HN level.
On this course you will develop cyber security and ethical hacking skills. You will receive a CISCO Certificate on completion of the Introduction to Cyber Security unit. CISCO is the world's most robust IT infrastructure brand and well known household name for global tech companies. It is part of the Microsoft's infrastructure. Throughout the course you will use industry standard software such as Adobe Creative Suite, as well as programming and scripting languages such as Java.
Cyber security is one of the fastest growing industries in Scotland. There are thousands of exciting cyber security jobs across Scotland, with entry level salaries starting at £25,000 and averaging £51,200, which is more than double the average salary.
- Problem Solving
- Time Management
- Technical Computing Skills
- Team Working
- Programming Skills
- Security Skills
- One Year Full-time across approximately 3 days per week. Learners will have allocated additional learning time to be completed outside of class time.
- There will be an element of Online Learning.
- Data science
- Ethical hacking
- Data citizenship
- Software design and development
- Computer hardware and operating systems
- Designing and developing websites
- Digital forensics
- Applications development
- Computing project
- Application design
- Academic skills
- Data security
- Network fundamentals
One of the following:
- Three National 5's at Grade C or above, preferably including Computing Science.
- Intermediate Certificate: Computing with Software Development and Cyber Security SCQF Level 5
- Intermediate Certificate: Computing with Digital Media SCQF Level 5
- Work experience and/or other qualifications will be considered on an individual basis
- HNC: Cyber Security SCQF Level 7
- HNC: Computing: Software Development SCQF Level 8
- Software Developer
- App Developer
- Data Analyst
- Ethical Hacker
- Web Developer
- Trainee of apprentice jobs
- Submit an online Application.
- After this, you may be required to take part in an informal conversation as part of the application process. This group/individual conversation may be an information session, a portfolio discussion, or a skills based exercise
- In the case of Fife school leavers, the College will request a Transition Form from the school