This course is intended for those interested in pursuing a career at HNC level from August 2019; thus, providing a strong foundation for students who either already have childcare qualifications or extended voluntary experience in a classroom or childcare setting. Subjects studied will support future studies at SCQF Level 7.
The Scottish Government has committed to increasing the early learning and childcare entitlement to 1140 hours per year by 2020; therefore, we need up to 11,000 new recruits working in Early Learning and Childcare across Scotland.
Considering gaining qualifications within childcare, but, not sure what this may involve, but have been helping at your local nursery of primary school and are considering a career in Early Learning and Childcare, this course is for you.
A career in early learning and child care involves working with pre-school and school age children often in a play group, out of school care, nursery or crèche setting.
This course will provide an underpinning knowledge of the subjects studied at HNC Childhood Practice (the recognised qualification for Early Years Childcare Practitioners). Along with academic study skills and guidance to provide you with the knowledge and understanding to successfully undertake further study.
You will learn about child development, the theory that supports child development, how to support children’s rights and protection and have an opportunity to plan and participate in various experiences to support your understanding of the value of play.
- Child Development
- Child Development: Theory
- Play in Early Education and Childcare
- Children and Young People: Rights and Protection
This part-time time course will offer you the opportunity to gain skills and knowledge for working with children, through interactive classroom-based delivery in child-related topics and study skills. These will form a strong basis for progression onto further childcare courses leading to recognisable and registerable qualifications to work with children and young people.
- Standard Grade English at Credit level, or Intermediate 2, plus four Standard Grades at General level 3 or above
- Five National 5s at Level C or above including English at Level A or B
- Consideration will be given to candidates who do not quite meet the entry requirement, but have relevant experience if they are over 21
- Completion of an SCQF Level 5 course, such as Intermediate Certificate: Early Education and Childcare incorporating National Progression Award: Playwork and Childcare with 12 assessed credits including Maths/Numeracy, IT, and Communication at SCQF Level 5
- Alternative equivalent qualifications will be considered on an individual basis
- In addition, internal applicants will also require a positive Internal Learner Reference (ILR)
- HNC Childhood Practice
- SVQ: Social Services (Children and Young People) SCQF Level 7 (Workbased Qualification)
- Nursery assistant
- Play leader
- 17 weeks part-time
- You will be expected to have the required stationery to complete tasks
- You are advised to purchase a text book (approx. cost £22) - copies are also available in college
- Evidence of interest in the childcare sector from a personal statement
- Qualifications as detailed on application
- Information session
- Written task
- 1:1 conversation / interview
- Reference to support application or school transition form where applicable
- Must be 16 years of age at start of study
- Eligibility for membership of the PVG scheme