This course is intended for those interested in pursuing a career at HNC level from August; providing a strong foundation for students who either already have childcare qualifications or extended voluntary experience in a classroom or childcare setting. Subjects studied will support future studies at SCQF Level 7.
Considering gaining qualifications within childcare, but, not sure what this may involve, but have been helping at your local nursery of primary school and are considering a career in early learning and childcare, this course is for you.
A career in early learning and childcare involves working with pre-school and school age children often in a play group, out of school care, nursery, or crèche setting.
This course will provide an underpinning knowledge of the subjects studied at HNC: Childhood Practice (the recognised qualification for Early Years Childcare Practitioners). Along with academic study skills and guidance to provide you with the knowledge and understanding to successfully undertake further study.
Assessments are scheduled across the year and are mainly National Assessment Bank materials.
- Leadership skills
- Good communicator
- This part-time course will take six months to complete and will be delivered two mornings per week
- This course will provide an underpinning knowledge of the subjects studied at HNC: Childhood Practice (the recognised qualification for early years childcare practitioners)
- Along with academic study skills and guidance to provide you with the knowledge and understanding to successfully undertake further study
- You will learn about child development, the theory that supports child development, how to support children’s rights and protection and have an opportunity to plan and participate in various experiences to support your understanding of the value of play
- Child development
- Child development: theory
- Play in early education and childcare
- Children and young people: rights and protection
- This part-time time course will offer you the opportunity to gain skills and knowledge for working with children, through interactive classroom-based delivery in child-related topics and study skills. These will form a strong basis for progression onto further childcare courses leading to recognisable and registerable qualifications to work with children and young people
One of the following:
- Five National 5s at Grade C or above including English at Grade A or B
- Consideration will be given to candidates who do not quite meet the entry requirement, but have relevant experience if they are over 21
One of the following:
- Completion of an SCQF Level 5 course, such as Intermediate Certificate: Early Education and Childcare incorporating National Progression Award: Playwork and Childcare with 12 assessed credits including Maths/Numeracy, IT, and Communication at SCQF Level 5
- Alternative equivalent qualifications will be considered on an individual basis
- HNC: Childhood Practice SCQF Level 7
- SVQ: Social Services (Children and Young People) SCQF Level 7 (Work-based Qualification)
- HNC: Additional Support Needs: Supporting the Services SCQF Level 7
- Employment in the childcare sector on further study and completion of registrable childcare qualifications such as HNC: Childhood Practice
- You will be expected to have the required stationery to complete tasks
- Evidence of interest in the childcare sector from a personal statement
- Qualifications as detailed on application
- You may be required to take part in an informal conversation as part of the application process. This group/individual conversation may be an information session, a portfolio discussion, or a skills based exercise
- Reference to support application or school transition form where applicable
- Must be 16 years of age at start of study
- Eligibility for membership of the PVG scheme