This course is designed for those wishing to take up a career in accounting and financial administration within a range of organisations. Both this HNC and HND: Accounting are suitable for a wide target audience including school leavers, adult returners to education, and those in employment wishing to formalise their skills.
- Throughout this course you can expect to learn subject related skills covering four themes - Bookkeeping, Financial Accounting, Management Accounting and Business Analysis.
- Whilst carrying out your studies we would support you to learn additional employability skills such as problem solving, organisational skills, working to deadlines, communication skills, written and verbal, along with being able to confidently learn independently and collaboratively.
- One year full-time
- Two years part-time (evening)
- Two years part-time (day release)
- Recording financial information
- Preparing final statements
- Using financial accounting software
- Cost accounting
- Management accounting using IT
- Accounting options
One of the following:
- At least one relevant Higher at level C or above plus four National 5s at Grade C or above in relevant subjects (e.g. Business, English, Modern Studies, History, Admin and IT, Religious, Moral and Philosophical Studies, Computing, Geography, Maths or Science-based subjects)
- Foundation Apprenticeship: Accounting SCQF Level 6
- Advanced Certificate: Business Enterprise including a minimum of 12 SQA credits
- Relevant industry experience and/or other qualifications will be considered on an individual basis.
- Successful completion allows direct progression to year 2 of HND: Accounting SCQF Level 8
- BA: Accounting with Finance SCQF Level 9
- It is possible to progress on to a degree at university from this course - see our HE and Degree Pathways guide for more information
- Entry into AAT (Association of Accounting Technicians) Level 4
- You may be required to take part in an informal conversation as part of the application process. This group/individual conversation may be an information session, a portfolio discussion, or a skills based exercise.