This very popular course will develop your professional skills and get you ready for employment in a variety of roles including stage, screen, streaming or use of voice e.g. voice overs/podcasting etc. Developing the core professional skills of acting, movement and voice, you will engage in practical projects leading to small and larger scale performances. The HNC is aimed at those who have some previous experience of theatre arts and performance; perhaps through a lower-level course, or interest developed in our incredibly popular Youth Theatre courses, or through participation in amateur dramatics.
If you are keen to develop your acting and performing skills in order to progress to the world of work or entry to 2nd Year HND in Acting and Performance and possibly onto a degree, then choose Fife College...this is the course for you.
You will develop the following knowledge and skills for progression or employment:
- Skills in voice, movement, acting and stagecraft
- Working with others and on your own, and the ability to integrate these skills in productions
- Working with text and voice developing mood, emotion and setting context
Our passionate lecturing staff will help you develop an innovative and creative approach to work in rehearsal and performance through:
- Co-operative team working skills
- An effective understanding of theatre practice
- The ability to respond to direction and explore and develop an awareness of the self
- We will also help you prepare for audition for employment and places at Higher Education establishments and develop you as a performer to meet the needs of the labour market
- One year full-time
You will study the following SQA Core Units and additional optional units from the HNC Framework.
- Movement 1: Developing Skills
- Acting 1: Developing Skills
- Production 1: Developing Skills
- Voice 1: Developing Skills
- Acting and Performance: Graded Unit 1
- Successful completion of NC/NQ Acting and Performance at SCQF Level 6 or;
- At least 1 Higher including either English or Drama at Grade C or above or;
- Demonstrable experience and equivalent qualification
- On successful completion of the course, you'll be awarded an HNC Acting and Performance. If you have achieved 15 Credits and at least a Grade B in the Graded Unit, you will normally be able to progress into the second year of HND Acting and Performance at Fife College.
- Acting for stage/screen/TV/film/radio
- Contemporary performance
- Teaching within an educational setting
- Drama facilitation within a community setting
- Community theatre practitioner
- Independent performing artist
- Radio,TV, arts administration
- Arts journalism and presenting
- Expenses will be kept to a minimum and will include appropriate clothing and footwear for day to day classes
- Online application process with audition and attendance at workshop/ interview.