This exciting course builds your knowledge and understanding of the link between biology and technology. You'll have the chance to learn about new ways of diagnosing disease, producing antibiotics or even developing vaccines. You will apply industrial processes to tackling real-world problems and learn how companies all around Scotland are working at the forefront of biotechnology innovation.
In addition this course helps your refine your problem solving and analysis skills, you will develop team working and group skills and have the opportunity contextulaise your maths and numeracy skills to the biotechnology sector.
During this course you work with a range of industry standard equipment to develop skills in:
- Analysing DNA
- Plan and collect samples for testing
- Using Gas Chromatography
- Fermenting cells
In additional you will work with specialist computer software, improved your statistical analysis skills and develop your leadership and project management capability.
- 1 year full time
- 2 years part time studying 1 day per week
The course develops your understanding of both biology and chemistry. You will learn industry standard techniques in industrial biotechnology.
The course includes the following units:
- Laboratory Skills for Science Industries
- Fundamental Chemistry: Theory and Laboratory Skills
- Cell Biology: Theory and Laboratory Skills
- Statistics for Science
- Biotechnology: An Introduction
- Microbiology: Theory and Laboratory Skills
- Animal & Plant Cell Culture
- DNA & Genetics
- NC Applied Sciences SCQF Level 6.
- Alternative science based qualification broadly comparable to SCQF level 6.
- Applicants who do not meet this criteria, but have relevant experience or alternative qualifications, will be considered.
HND Industrial Biotechnology or University courses in:
- Biological Sciences
- Pharmaceutical Science
- Fermentation Scientist - working in brewing and distilling
- Pharmaceutical Scientist
- Molecular Biologist
- Environmental Scientist
- Biotechnology Hardware or Software Engineering
- Scientific Sales Manager
- Research Scientist
- Vaccine Scientist
- Food Scientist
- Application for followed by an interview that considers your interest in the subject and future career aspirations.