The HNC is designed for you if wish to develop skills and gain an understanding of the fascinating and complex world of Business. If that sounds like you then have a look below at what you will study. You will analyse different situations which businesses could face, using information from the external business environment such as market forces and competition and from the internal business environment such as financial information and performance data. The course will be assessed through a blend of assignments and project work.
You will develop a range of personal and professional skills including:
- Team working
- Problem solving
Through working on tasks and projects with your class colleagues, you will build your:
- One year full-time.
The HNC includes mandatory and optional units of study. The optional units that you will study have been selected to provide a wide range of business awareness from understanding the different functions in a business, to the specialist area of Human Resource Management. Additionally, technical subjects such as spreadsheets will provide you with the IT and data analysis skills to interpret and use information to help to diagnose and solve business issues. These optional subjects are underpinned by mandatory units:
- Business Fundamentals and Emergent Technologies
- Managing People and Organisations
- Content creation for a business
Graded Unit – which is an opportunity for you to demonstrate your understanding of how the different subjects are integrated. All subjects require you to think about theory but also will require you to consider how you put that theory into practice in real world and case study situations.
The course is delivered using a blended approach, where you will learn through a combination of time with a tutor and your class colleagues, as well as working on independent learning activities.
- 2 Highers in relevant subjects OR Advanced Certificate: Administration, Accounting, Business and Legal, OR relevant work experience.
- Direct entry into year 2 (HND) requires the full, successful completion of the related HNC with 15 SQA credits.
- Complete your HNC and then progress to start: HND Business at Fife College which could provide further progression to a BA or BA (Honours) Business Management at Fife College.
- You can progress into employment in a range of roles and industries. Opportunities include working in Human Resources, Administration or Finance within the public sector. These roles allow you to support the essential work of the NHS, local government and other public bodies such as Police Scotland or the Civil Service.
- In the private sector you would have the opportunity to work in Marketing, Human Resource Management, Finance and Administration in many different areas such as banking, retail, travel and hospitality.
- With the range of knowledge and skills developed in this course, you have the starting point that can help you to open many different doors to employment.
- Online application process.