If you are interested in the field of Civil Engineering and want to succeed in this exciting career, this course is perfect for you. Throughout the course, you will learn valuable skills and knowledge that will set you up for success. You will need to dedicate 6 hours per-week to studying at our Glenrothes campus. Additionally, there may be up to 2 trips per year to the University of Abertay campus in Dundee, where you will get to use their labs as part of your learning experience.
The course itself is primarily theory-based. However, you will also have the opportunity to apply what you have learned in practical exercises. For assessments, you may encounter both open and closed book exams.
Some units in the course require a higher level of math, but don't worry! If you need some extra preparation, we can provide support before the course begins. This course is ideal for you if you are interested in pursuing a career in the field of Civil Engineering. It is a great opportunity to gain the necessary skills and knowledge to excel in this type of role.
- Problem Solving: You will learn how to tackle and solve different problems effectively.
- Visual Perception: Enhance your ability to observe and interpret visual information accurately.
- Environmental Awareness: Gain knowledge about the environment and learn how to contribute to its preservation.
- Understanding Sustainability: Explore the concept of sustainability and its importance in creating a better future for our planet.
- This course spans two years and is part-time.
- Classes will be held one day per week, specifically on Wednesdays.
- You will attend classes from 1:00 PM to 7:00 PM.
- This course develops knowledge and skills in areas such as geotechnics, civil engineering contracts and project management, construction site surveying, and construction technology (substructure and structural mechanics).
- You will gain contemporary vocational skills including study, research, analysis, planning, and organisational skills. You will also learn to take responsibility for your own learning and develop the ability to be flexible and to work cooperatively with others.
- This HNC will enable you to achieve appropriate professional body recognition, in particular, but not exclusively, from the Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB).
One of the following:
- One Higher at Level C or above (in a relevant STEM discipline) plus three National 5s at Level C or above or equivalent (see our Qualifications Explained page for details) which must include Maths.
- National Certificate: Built Environment SCQF Level 6 (with additional Maths for Construction Technicians or Construction Engineering Mathematics unit).
- Foundation Apprenticeship: Civil Engineering SCQF Level 6.
- Relevant industry experience and/or other qualifications will be considered on an individual basis.
- In addition, internal applicants will also require a positive Internal Learner Reference (ILR).
- The HNC course has been designed to allow progression on to HND and degree level courses through our established articulation agreements with partner universities and colleges – please note that articulation routes can vary depending on partner college/university.
- Technical trainee with private, local authority, government, military, or academic employers in the industry
- Civil engineer technician and associated disciplines
- Setting out engineer
- Site agent
- Construction manager
- General stationery including a calculator and a scaled ruler.
- You will be advised on the appropriate types to purchase once enrolled on the course.
- You may have to attend a group interview to satisfy the entry criteria for the course.
- Proof of qualifications must be brought to interview.
- Any relevant portfolio/work to evidence your suitability against course content would also be welcomed at interview stage.