This highly sought after advanced level course offers you the opportunity to gain in-depth knowledge of commonly used and specialist welding processes and inspection techniques used within the oil, petro-chemical, and nuclear industries.
- The core of the HNC is the principles that underlie the fabrication and welding industry.
- You will understand industrial practice in your local industry, the use of materials, and the effects of processes on their mechanical, physical and chemical properties.
- You will also study inspection methods to allow you to make informed decisions on the quality and serviceability of manufactured products.
- You will also develop your analysis, synthesis, critical thinking, planning, organising, reviewing and evaluation skills.
- Distance learning
Your course will include important knowledge to enhance your employment and career progression options. This will include the following theory units:
- Welding principles and applications 1
- Welding principles and applications 2
- Fabrication: preparation joining and assembly
- Quality management: an introduction
- Fabrication and welding materials
- Inspection systems
- Engineering project
- Fabrication forming processes
- Pipework 1: construction and site installation
- Communications: practical skills
- Welding procedures: specification, qualification and testing
- Fabrication, welding and inspection: graded unit
- Magnetic particle inspection – this unit can be offered as a credit transfer on production of current and relevant certification in this field of expertise
- Liquid penetrant inspection – this unit can be offered as a credit transfer on production of current and relevant certification in this field of expertise
One of the following:
- One Higher at Grade C or above plus two National 5s at Grade C or above, ideally in Maths, a Science, or a Technology subject
- Foundation Apprenticeship: Engineering SCQF Level 6
- National Certificate: Fabrication and Welding Engineering SCQF Level 5 with a good academic reference recommending articulation to a higher level
- Relevant industry experience and/or other qualifications will be considered on an individual basis
- HNC: Computer Aided Draughting and Design SCQF Level 7
- Successful completion within this specialised area can lead to incorporated engineer level, including the specialisation in non-destructive testing (NDT)
- £10 for a calculator
- There will be additional costs associated with LPI and MPI training