COURSE INFORMATIONThis highly sought after advanced level course offers you the opportunity to gain in-depth knowledge of commonly used and specialist welding processes and inspection techniques used within the oil, petro-chemical, and nuclear industries.
- The core of the HNC is the principles that underlie the fabrication and welding industry. You will understand industrial practice in your local industry, the use of materials, and the effects of processes on their mechanical, physical and chemical properties. You will also study inspection methods to allow you to make informed decisions on the quality and serviceability of manufactured products.
- You will also develop your analysis, synthesis, critical thinking, planning, organising, reviewing and evaluation skills.
- Distance learning
Your course will include important knowledge to enhance your employment and career progression options. This will include the following theory units:
- Welding principles and applications 1
- Welding principles and applications 2
- Fabrication: preparation joining and assembly
- Quality management: an introduction
- Fabrication and welding materials
- Inspection systems
- Engineering project
- Fabrication forming processes
- Pipework 1: construction and site installation
- Communications: practical skills
- Welding procedures: specification, qualification and testing
- Fabrication, welding and inspection: graded unit
- Magnetic particle inspection – this unit can be offered as a credit transfer on production of current and relevant certification in this field of expertise
- Liquid penetrant inspection – this unit can be offered as a credit transfer on production of current and relevant certification in this field of expertise
One of the following:
- One Higher at Grade C or above plus two National 5s at Grade C or above, ideally in Maths, a Science, or a Technology subject.
- Foundation Apprenticeship: Engineering SCQF Level 6.
- National Certificate: Fabrication and Welding Engineering SCQF Level 5 with a good academic reference recommending articulation to a higher level.
- Relevant industry experience and/or other qualifications will be considered on an individual basis.
- HNC: Computer Aided Draughting and Design SCQF Level 7
- Successful completion within this specialised area can lead to incorporated engineer level, including the specialisation in non-destructive testing (NDT).
- £10 for a calculator
There will be additional costs associated with LPI and MPI training.
- Online application form.