The HNC in Fitness, Health and Exercise (SCQF level 7) will give you the key knowledge and practical skills required to pursue a career in the fitness, health and exercise industry. You will gain knowledge and expertise in a range of subjects including: exercise programming, health screening, nutrition, first-aid for sport, exercise physiology, and anatomy.
You will also have the opportunity to gain membership with the Chartered Institute for the Management of Sport and Physical Activity (CIMSPA). CIMSPA is the professional development body for the UK’s sport and physical activity sector. They support with membership and recognition of the professional excellence, knowledge and skills you will acquire on this course..
- Health & Wellbeing for Fitness and Exercise
- Performance Practice
- Observation and Analytic Skills
- Communication Skills
- Supporting, Mentoring, Motivational and Role Model Skills
- Working effectively with different ages, stages and abilities
- Ethical Practitioner
- One year full-time
- Attendance is normally over 2-3 days
HNC Core Units
- Working effectively and safely with clients
- Exercise and fitness: health and safety management
- Exercise physiology and anatomy
- Exercise principles and programming
- Health screening
- Nutrition for fitness, health and exercise
- Fitness, health and exercise graded unit 1
- First Aid for sport and fitness
Key Optional Units
- Plan, teach, and evaluate a group exercise with music session
- Plan, teach, and evaluate a gym-based exercise session
- Two Highers at Grade C ideally from English, a Science subject or PE (You must have English at a minimum of National 5 Pass)
- Higher English at Grade C or above plus either NPA: Sports Development SCQF Level 6 or NPA: Exercise and Fitness Leadership SCQF level 6
- Successful completion of a Sport & Fitness course at SCQF Level 6
- Successful completion of a Sport and Fitness course at SCQF Level 6 (with a minimum of 13 assessed credits) and a positive ILR.
- HND: Fitness, Health and Exercise SCQF Level 8
- It is possible to progress on to a degree at university from this course - see our HE and Degree Pathways guide for more information.
- On successful completion of the HNC/HND, you may gain employment with Local Leisure Trusts, private health and fitness organisations, sports clubs, or become self-employed as a freelance instructor or personal trainer.
- Fitness related kit is required to take part in practical activities, such as trainers, tracksuit bottoms, training tops, and shorts
- Professional Membership: CIMSPA is the professional development body for the UK’s sport and physical activity sector which recognises the qualifications and expertise of health-enhancing exercise instructors in the UK. We encourage you to sign up as student member initially.
- More information about at this link CIMSPA (opens in a new window)
- Apply online
- You may be required to take part in an informal conversation as part of the application process. This group/individual conversation may be an information session, a portfolio discussion, or a skills based exercise.
Expected Jobs 2020
Expected Jobs 2023
Statistics are representative based on National data collated and provided by Emsi Economic Modelling.