The general aims of the HNC are to:
- Provide candidates with a basic understanding of Scots law which will equip candidates for employment where knowledge of law and legal procedures are relevant
- Give candidates scope to develop competence in a variety of specialised legal areas
- Provide an entry route to the HND: Legal Services
- Develop the capacity to respond quickly to the challenges posed by changes in the law and business/legal environment
- Provide the skills and competencies required to progress to the HND in Legal Services
- Provide the skills and competencies required to progress to an appropriate degree level qualification in Higher Education in law (2nd year BA Law or first year LLB Law)
- Administration roles within central and local government, or related opportunities within a business or commercial context
- Supervisory/Management roles in business, finance, the commercial or public sector and police
- Commercial Law
- Scots Private Law
- Property Law
- Legal Research Techniques
- Scottish Legal System
- Consumer Law
- Communication: Business Communication
- Legal Services: Graded Unit 1
Fife College will accept achievement of this course for progression to HND in Legal Services Year 2.
Students wishing to progress to HND will be required to pick up additional credits (3 credits) in either the year of study or 2nd Year. This can be achieved by studying on-line or attending evening or Saturday morning classes.
At least one relevant higher at grade C or above, eg Business, English. Others Highers may be considered.
The award will develop the competences candidates will need to undertake specialist paralegal support roles in the legal profession, or in a legal context in a variety of business, public sector or financial organisations. There are specialist paralegal options that will provide the practical skills required by employers.