This course is for people passionate about opportunities to influence others via the creation of media content. From Internal to External, Corporate to Social, communications are ever more necessary for successful businesses, organisations and creative entrepreneurs. Are you a Writer? Blogger? Vlogger? Podcaster? Do you have your own stories to tell, news to share, or opinions to discuss? Increase your success with the addition of audio-visual media. Want to join the debate or lead it? The HNC Media and Communication qualification is intended for those wishing to pursue a specialist career or develop creative thinking and a skillset that can be used in a broad range of media and communication roles. It combines academic study and practical learning to reflect the demands of the media and other industries. The HNC will also enhance your employment prospects in the wider creative and communication economy. You can progress to the HND Media and Communication at our Glenrothes Campus and then onto our BA (Hons.) Creative Enterprise.
This course gives you the creative media production skills to get your own or your employer’s messages to a wider audience effectively. Skills that you develop from this course are as follows:
- Digital Production Skills
- Digital Communication Skills
- Graphic, Written and Oral Skills
- Design, Planning and Production
- Skills for Broadcast Industries
- Social Media Production Skills
- Research Skills
- English Language Skills
- Media Legislation
- One year full-time.
- Complex oral presentation
- Video Production
- Radio Production
- Desktop Publishing
- Writing for the media
- The media: features and trends
- English language skills: correcting creative text
- Creative industries: an introduction
- Law and the media
- Research skills
- Creative industries: Media and Communication: Graded Unit 1
One of the following:
- Foundation Apprenticeship: Creative and Digital Media SCQF Level 6 plus a National 5 at Grade C or above in English
- One Higher at Grade C or above from English, Media Studies or Politics ( or 1 Higher not including these with Nat 5 English at Grade C)
- National Certificate: Creative Industries: Broadcast Media SCQF Level 6
- National Certificate: Photography SCQF Level 6
Adult returners with relevant industry experience and/or other qualifications will be considered on an individual basis.
- You will be required to demonstrate a passion for media content generation, communication e.g writing, podcasting as well as evidence of creativity and/or associated technical production skills. A short show-reel or online portfolio would be an advantage showing creative and or communication skills.
- You may be required to take part in an informal conversation as part of the application process. This group/individual conversation may be an information session, a portfolio discussion, or a skills based exercise.
It is possible to progress on to a degree at university from this course - see our HE and Degree Pathways guide for more information.
HND: Media and Communication.
- Media production
- Public relations
- Digital marketing and promotion
- Social media
- Content manager/creator
- Digital content creator
- Portable hard drive.
- USB memory stick.
- You may be required to take part in an informal conversation as part of the application process.
- This group/individual conversation may be an information session, a portfolio discussion, or a skills based exercise.
Expected Jobs 2020
Expected Jobs 2023
Statistics are representative based on National data collated and provided by Emsi Economic Modelling.