This course is ideal if you are interested in progressing to University or developing a high level of knowledge and skills in the area of Mechanical Engineering to make you work-ready for a career in this industry.
At the end of the HNC course, you could progress onto the HND Mechanical Engineering course, or you could progress directly into employment with a highly valued HNC qualification. At the end of the HND course, providing you meet the articulation requirements, you could progress to year 3 and 4 of a specific BEng (Hons) degree at one of our partner universities.
The course is open to both school leavers and those looking to change or further their careers.
So, there has never been a better time to start your career in Engineering!
Engineering is everywhere, helping transform people's lives around the globe. The work that engineers do is creative and hands-on. It's about designing things, finding solutions and improving things.
Engineering is one of the few career options that spans every sector, from sport to space. So whatever you care most about, there will be some engineering involved.
According to Engineering UK, 124,000 engineers and technicians with core engineering skills will be required each year in the UK alone, and annual shortfall of 59,000 engineering graduates and technicians to fill core engineering roles.
Did you know that Engineering and technology graduates earn significantly more than for graduates overall and the average Scottish engineer salary is 28% higher per year than the average Scottish salary.
- One year full-time
- Two years day release
- Infill by arrangement
- Engineering Maths 1, 2 (3 optional)
- IT applications
- Engineering measurement
- Engineering quality
- Statics strength of materials
- Economics of manufacture
- Engineering principles
- Graded Unit 1
One of the following:
- Two Highers at Grade C or above, one of which must be Maths with the other coming from Physics or Engineering Science (Grade D will be considered for exceptional candidates)
- Foundation Apprenticeship: Engineering SCQF Level 6
- National Certificate: Mechanical Engineering SCQF Level 6 (including Maths: Tech 2)
- Another relevant course at SCQF Level 6 (incorporating Maths: Tech 1 and 2) accompanied by a good academic reference recommending articulation to a higher level
- Relevant industry experience and/or other qualifications will be considered on an individual basis
At the end of the HNC course, providing you meet the articulation requirements, you could progress to year 2 of a specific BEng (Hons) degree courses at any of the following partner Universities -
- The University of Aberdeen
- Edinburgh Napier University
- Glasgow Caledonian University
- Teeside University
Please see our website for more information about studying for a degree at Fife College.
Alternatively, you could progress directly into employment with a highly valued HNC qualification.
- Opportunities in mechanical, design, project and production engineering
- The managerial aspects of the course may also lend themselves to leadership roles within industry
- Scientific calculator
- Basic drawing and note taking equipment
- You may be required to take part in an informal conversation as part of the application process. This group/individual conversation may be an information session, a portfolio discussion, or a skills based exercise