This course is ideal if you are interested in progressing to University or developing a high level of knowledge and skills in the area of Mechanical Engineering to make you work-ready for a career in this industry.
At the end of the HNC course, you could progress onto the HND Mechanical Engineering course, or you could progress directly into employment with a highly valued HNC qualification. At the end of the HND course, providing you meet the articulation requirements, you could progress to year 3 and 4 of a specific BEng (Hons) degree at one of our partner universities.
The course is open to both school leavers and those looking to change or further their careers.
So, there has never been a better time to start your career in Engineering!
- Knowledge and understanding of Mechanical Engineering principles
- One year full-time
- Two years day release
- Infill by arrangement
- Engineering Maths 1, 2 (3 optional)
- IT applications
- Materials selection
- Quality management
- Statics & strength of materials
- Computer aided design
- Engineering principles
- Pneumatics & Hydraulics
- Design for Manufacture
- Graded Unit 1
One of the following:
- Two Highers at Grade C or above, one of which must be Maths with the other coming from Physics or Engineering Science (Grade D will be considered for exceptional candidates)
- Foundation Apprenticeship: Engineering SCQF Level 6
- National Certificate: Mechanical Engineering SCQF Level 6 (including Maths: Tech 2)
- Another relevant course at SCQF Level 6 (incorporating Maths: Tech 1 and 2) accompanied by a good academic reference recommending articulation to a higher level
- Relevant industry experience and/or other qualifications will be considered on an individual basis
If you successfully complete your HNC, you could progress onto
- HND: Mechanical Engineering SCQF Level 8
If you progress onto the HND Mechanical Engineering course, you will also have the opportunity to study further advanced units in mathematics. At the end of the HND course, providing you meet the articulation requirements, you could progress to year 3 and 4 of a specific BEng (Hons) degree courses at our partner Universities -
- The University of Aberdeen
- Edinburgh Napier University
- Glasgow Caledonian University
- Teeside University
Please see our website for more information about studying for a degree at Fife College.
Alternatively, you could progress directly into employment with a highly valued HNC qualification.
- Opportunities in mechanical, design, project and production engineering
- The managerial aspects of the course may also lend themselves to leadership roles within industry
- Scientific calculator
- Basic drawing and note taking equipment/A
- You may be required to take part in an informal conversation as part of the application process. This group/individual conversation may be an information session, a portfolio discussion, or a skills based exercise
Expected Jobs 2020
Expected Jobs 2023
Statistics are representative based on National data collated and provided by Emsi Economic Modelling.