This course is ideal for those looking for a career in professional cookery and who will lead a team in the future. Producing highly technical dishes, you will develop your cookery skills and confidence while working in the professional kitchen. Building on skills at level 6 you will study both practical and theory subjects. You should have a passion for food.
You will develop knowledge and skills that are required by a supervisor in this fast paced environment. You should have a passion for food. This course can articulate on to degree courses at Abertay University and the University of the Highlands and Islands. This course can lead to a career as a home economics teacher with degree study.
- Problem solving
- Working in teams
- Analysing and evaluation
- Organisational skills
- Supervising others
- One year full-time – including one evening per week
- Part-time (one day per week over two years)
- Professional Cookery: Practical.
- Professional Cookery: Knowledge.
- Hospitality: Financial Control Systems.
- Food Hygiene Intermediate.
- Hospitality Supervision.
- Professional Cookery: Graded Unit 1.
One of the following:
- Advanced Certificate: Professional Cookery with a minimum of 12 SQA credits (8 at SCQF Level 6)
- SVQ: Professional Cookery SCQF Level 6 with a minimum of 12 SQA credits (8 at SCQF Level 6)
- Relevant industry experience and/or other qualifications will be considered on an individual basis
- Portfolio of practical evidence
- Positive Internal Learner Reference (ILR)
Fife College has defined articulation routes in place for this course
- Year 2 of HND: Professional Cookery SCQF Level 8
- Year 2 of BSc Food and Consumer Studies at Abertay University
- Year 2 of BSc Food, Nutrition and Health at Abertay University
- BA (Hons) Food, Nutrition and Textile Education at the University of the Highlands and Islands
- Chef de partie
- Assistant chef
- Junior Sous chef
- Assistant food and beverage manager
- You may be required to take part in an informal conversation as part of the application process. This group/individual conversation may be an information session, a portfolio discussion, or a skills based exercise
- Portfolio of dishes