This course has been designed to provide you with the knowledge and understanding necessary to start a career in Quantity Surveying or Estimating. It is also ideal for those already working in the sector who are looking to gain a promotion.
Please note: If you would like to do this course full-time, please apply on The HND Quantity Surveying.
Over the two year the following will be developed:
- Attention to detail & Methodological skills
- Mathematical skills
- Financial skills
- Teamwork & Communications skills
- Software skills
- Organisational skills
- Two years part-time (day release).
This is a mainly theory-based course which includes the important knowledge and skills for successful employment. These are studied in the context of the practical and theoretical classes, including the following:
- Quantitative Building Studies: Substructure & Drainage (measured as per the standard method of measurement - NRM2).
- Quantitative Building Studies: Floors, Roofs & Concrete (measured as per the standard method of measurement - NRM2).
- Construction Technology - Substructure.
- Construction Technology - Domestic Construction.
- Construction Contracts: Conditions and Procedures.
- Quantity Surveying Practice.
- CAD: 2D I.
- Building Services on Large Buildings.
- Construction Materials and Specification.
One of the following:
- One Higher at Grade C or above in a relevant subject (English, Maths, History, Business Management, Economics, any Science subject) plus three National 5s at Grade C or above which must include Maths.
- Foundation Apprenticeship: Civil Engineering SCQF Level 6.
- National Certificate: Built Environment SCQF Level 6.
- Successful completion of the School-College Partnership course Pre-MA/Pathway to HE in Built Environment (Fife schools only).
- Relevant industry experience and/or other qualifications will be considered on an individual basis with an employer reference to support the application.
- HND: Quantity Surveying at the College
- It is possible to progress to the BSc (Hons) Quantity Surveying degree at one of our partner Universities from this course - see our HE and Degree Pathways guide for more information.
- Quantity Surveyor
- Project Management
- Commercial Management
- Scientific Calculator
- Scale Ruler
- Mechanical Pencil and nibs (0.7 recommended)
- Sketch book - approx. £5
- Ruler, rubber and sharpener
- Coloured pencils and highlighters
- You may be required to take part in an informal conversation as part of the application process. This group/individual conversation may be an information session, a portfolio discussion, or a skills based exercise.
- Proof of qualifications must be brought to this.
- Any relevant portfolio/work to evidence your suitability against course content would also be welcomed at this stage.