The course is designed to support those who wish to pursue a career within sports coaching and sports development. At the same time, many of the skills achieved will allow you to make other career decisions and follow different pathways within sport or other related industries. As well as participating in the course, you will be involved in practical work with various groups/clubs in the community.
- Health & wellbeing for sports performance
- Performance practice
- Observation and analytic skills
- Communication skills
- Supporting, mentoring, motivational and role model skills
- Working effectively with different ages, stages and abilities
- Ethical Practitioner
- One year full-time
- Part-time study is also available
- Sports coaching theory and practice
- Conduct and ethics for sport and fitness practitioners
- Anatomy, physiology and energy systems
- Coaching of sports: an introduction
- Work experience
- Coaching children
- Research in sport and fitness: an introduction
- Coaching and development sport: graded unit 1
- Assist in a sport or fitness related event
- Strength and conditioning: an introduction
- Psychology of sports coaching
- Principles of fitness training
- Fitness testing for sport
- Health screening
- Prevention and rehabilitation of sports injuries
- English must be achieved at a minimum of National 5 C Pass.
- 1 Higher at Grade C or above from any subject but ideally English or a Science subject, plus one of the following National Progression Awards.
- NPA: Sports Development SCQF level 6.
- NPA: Exercise and Fitness Leadership SCQF level 6.
- NPA: Leadership SCQF level 6.
- 2 Highers at Grade C or above from any subject but ideally English, a Science subject, PE.
- Successful completion of a Sport and Fitness course at SCQF Level 6.
- All successful applicants will need to have a successful PVG Scheme Membership check through Disclosure Scotland in order to go out on a Coaching placement(s) as part of the course.
- Successful completion of a Sport and Fitness course at SCQF Level 6 e.g. Advanced Certificate: Sport and Fitness (with a minimum of 13 assessed credits).
- Plus a positive ILR.
- You will also need to have a successful PVG Scheme Membership check through Disclosure Scotland in order to go out on a Coaching placement(s) as part of the course.
- HND: Coaching and Developing Sport SCQF Level
- It is possible to progress on to a degree at university from this course - see our HE and Degree Pathways guide for more information.
Successful completion of the HNC/HND may lead to career opportunities with a range of employers who include the following: Local Authorities, Sports & Leisure Trusts, Sports & National Governing Bodies, local sports organisations, private clubs/hotels. The types of role you would be prepared for include:
- Sports coaching and/or activity leadership,
- Active school roles
- Sports development
- Disability sports development
- Fitness/gym staff
- Leisure centre staff
- Swimming pool staff
- Health and fitness staff
- Student expenses may be required for specialist clothing etc.
- You may be required to take part in an informal conversation as part of the application process. This group/individual conversation may be an information session, a portfolio discussion, or a skills based exercise
Expected Jobs 2020
Expected Jobs 2023
Statistics are representative based on National data collated and provided by Emsi Economic Modelling.