Action! Are you passionate about story-telling and committed to a career in the screen industries? Film-making, cable, satellite; small screen big screen; DVDs, downloads and streaming; the need for stories and content is growing. Bring your creativity, we’ll add skills and help you develop engaging screen content.
This course will develop your talent and essential craft skills for a range of roles in the screen industries.
Whether it’s for streaming, small-screen or big-screen, you will be taught the core craft skills of camera, lighting, sound and editing; all equally important whether for film, video, TV, drama, fiction, documentary, comedy, or live content. You will also learn and develop a broad range of skills that are essential to the screen industries and the wider world of work in the creative economy.
You’ll work in small production teams in specific roles where team-work and problem solving are crucial to achieving the high-production values required. In the fast-paced screen production industries you will be expected to be able to multi-task and perform in multiple roles and to help you develop skills, and confidence, and help you find your niche you’ll develop a range of skillsets.
You will be assessed by a combination of practical projects and written work. There will be screenings, guest lecturers, and seminars. Bring your curiosity, ideas and creativity; we’ll add skills, expertise and opportunities to develop your talents further.
- One year full-time
- Creative industries: an introduction
- Creative content generation
- Camera: an introduction
- Lighting: an introduction
- Sound recording: an introduction
- Editing: an introduction
- Production skills: an introduction
- Graded Unit 1
One of the following:
- One Higher at Grade C or above including English, Media Studies, or another suitable creative subject such as Music, Music Technology, or Drama
- Foundation Apprenticeship: Creative and Digital Media SCQF Level 6
- National Certificate: Creative Industries: Broadcast Media SCQF Level 6
- National Certificate: Photography SCQF Level 6
- National Certificate: Sound Production SCQF Level 6
- Relevant industry experience and/or other qualifications will be considered on an individual basis
- A short show-reel or online portfolio would be an advantage
- You may be required to take part in an informal conversation as part of the application process.
- This group/individual conversation may be an information session, a portfolio discussion, or a skills based exercise
- You will be required to demonstrate a passion for storytelling, creativity, and/or associated technical production skills
- HND: Creative Industries: Television SCQF Level 8
- Another related HND at college
- University courses in film making, screen production, or television production, media production
- Independent or junior film-maker
- Independent or junior production assistant
- Production office runner
- Production runner
- Edit assistant/junior editor
- Junior researcher
- Camera assistant/camera operator
- Production co-ordinator
- Portable hard drive
- USB memory stick
- You may be required to take part in an informal conversation with evidence of qualifications, experience, and suitable creative portfolio or show-reel as part of the application process. This group/individual conversation may be an information session, a portfolio discussion, or a skills based exercise