The primary focus for this HNC course is for those wishing to pursue a career as a Football Coach. This highly practical course has excellent connections with Fife football clubs and beyond. It also provides you with the knowledge and skills necessary to work as a sports professional within a wide variety of different settings.
You will have the opportunity to achieve the Professional Development Award (PDA) in Sports Coaching at SCQF level 7 during the HNC year.
The PDA is certificated with Sportscotland and the Chartered Institute for the Management of Sport and Physical Activity (CIMSPA). The PDA is recognised by the national membership organisation for leisure trusts, Community Leisure UK (Scotland) as achievement of excellence in standards for their employees.
- Effective Football Coaching; Communication Skills, Evaluation, Reflection and Self-Improvement
- Ability to engage individuals, small groups, teams, by helping change their behaviour
- Professional practice in sports coaching and development environments and how to increase performance standards
- Applied coaching skills in relation to knowing yourself, others
- Knowledge and understanding of human body systems and basic bio mechanical principles and their application in sport
- Effective Sports Development
- Effective Sports Coaching
- Independent study and research skills
- Employability skills
- One year full-time
- Attendance normally over 2-3 days
- Part-time study is also available
You will actively develop your knowledge and skills through studying the following
- Human Anatomy
- Physiology and Biomechanics
- Sports Coaching Practitioner: Knowing Self, Knowing Coaching, Knowing Others
- Sports Development
- Sports Coaching and Development: Developing Professional Practice
- Graded Unit 1. The Graded Unit allows the candidate to explore a topic that is of particular relevance to their own future career aspirations
- 2 Highers at Grade C or above from any subject but ideally English, a Science subject, PE. (English at Nat. 5 minimum)
- 1 Higher at Grade C or above from any subject but ideally English or a Science subject, plus one of the following National Progression Awards. Either NPA: Exercise and Fitness Leadership SCQF level 6 or NPA in Sports Development. (English at Nat. 5 minimum)
- Successful completion of a Sport and Fitness course at SCQF Level 6 e.g. Advanced Certificate: Sport and Fitness (with a minimum of 13 assessed credits)
- A positive ILR
- HND in Sports Coaching and Development
- HND Awards in related areas.
- It is possible to progress on to a degree at university from this course - see our HE and Degree Pathways guide for more information.
- Football coaching
- Sports coaching and/or activity leadership
- Active School roles, sports development, disability sports development, fitness/gym staff
- Leisure centre staff, swimming pool staff, health and fitness staff
CIMSPA is the professional development body for the UK’s sport and physical activity sector which recognises the qualifications and expertise of health-enhancing exercise instructors in the UK. One of its key functions is to provide a system of regulation for instructors and trainers to ensure that they meet the health and fitness industry’s agreed national occupational standards. We encourage you to sign up as student member initially.
Online application form including
- Personal statement
- Evidence of active participation in Sports & Fitness (please provide details in your personal statement)
Expected Jobs 2020
Expected Jobs 2023
Statistics are representative based on National data collated and provided by Emsi Economic Modelling.