This course offers routes into a range of degree courses, employment, and vocational training. It focuses on the systematic study of people and society. It also aims to develop transferable skills including communication, analytical ability and the handling of complex information.
- Problem solving
- Group work
- Evaluative skills
- One year full-time
- Two years part-time
- Research methodology
- 'Big Data'
- Graded unit one exam
One of the following:
- Two Highers at Grade C or above, one of which must be English*, with the other being drawn from a range of relevant subjects which could include Modern Studies, History, Sociology, Psychology, Geography, Economics, Politics, Philosophy, Maths, Biology, or Religious, Moral and Philosophical.
- In addition, you are required to have two National 5s at Grade C or above.
- Foundation Apprenticeship: Social Services and Healthcare SCQF Level 6 plus Higher English at Grade A or B.
- Foundation Apprenticeship: Social Services: Children and Young People SCQF Level 6 plus Higher English at Grade A or B.
- Advanced Certificate: Pathway to Social Sciences.
*NC Communication Higher and Literature 1 is an acceptable alternative to Higher English at Grade C.
- HND: Social Sciences SCQF Level 8
- It is possible to progress on to a degree at university from this course - see our HE and Degree Pathways guide for more information.
- Community education
- Human resources
- Social researcher
- Social worker
- Probation officer
- You may be required to take part in an informal conversation as part of the application process. This group/individual conversation may be an information session, a portfolio discussion, or a skills based exercise