Graphic Designers and Visual Communicators work creatively to promote a message or to enhance the user and/or consumer experience. Whether it is graphic design for online or printed campaigns; infographics, digital advertising or more traditional mediums such as magazines, books, posters, web-pages, packaging etc.
Creativity, Design, Attention to Detail, Imagination and Curiosity are essential skills that you will develop to help get the meaning of the message across to the viewer/ consumer.
This course will also develop traditional skills in drawing and illustration, as well as software skills using Apple Macs with the latest Adobe Creative Suite of software packages to help get you 'work-ready' for this exciting and growing industry.
You will work on a range of challenging project briefs from packaging, corporate identity, illustration, posters and magazine design to designing for digital and new media.
You will develop many creative and work related skills including;
Planning, Resourcing, Collaboration, Evaluation, Presenting, Pitching, Working Independently.
- One year full-time
- Digital imaging
- Creative project
- Creative industries
- Graphic design
- Mixed media
- Creative process
- Web design
- Design production
- Typography project
- Graphic design project
- You will undertake a group of projects designed to develop your individual, practical and team working skills while working to client briefs. Potential projects include working with commercial clients, schools, community partnerships, and more. From Community and Consumer to Local/ National businesses, Health and Wellbeing, Magazine Articles and Posters, Social Media, Digital Signage to 48 Sheet Posters, Local Bands to National Theatre Companies and more.
- A comprehensive portfolio plus one of the following:
- One Higher at Grade C or above preferably from Art and Design, Photography, Craft and Design, English, Media, or Graphic Communication
- Advanced Certificate: Graphic and Digital Design
- National Certificate: Photography SCQF Level 6
- National Certificate: Art and Design SCQF Level 6
- Applicants without the entry requirements who can demonstrate creativity and a passion for Graphic Design will be considered on an individual basis based on a discussion and review of your portfolio
- BA (Hons) Visual Communication and Digital Publishing
- BA (Hons) Graphic Design
- Technician in art and design, graphics or visual art
- Digital Design assistant
- Digital Media designer,
- Broadcast industry designer
- Graphics or Illustration careers
- You may be required to take part in an informal conversation as part of the application process. This group/individual conversation may be an information session, a portfolio discussion, or a skills based exercise
Expected Jobs 2020
Expected Jobs 2023
Statistics are representative based on National data collated and provided by Emsi Economic Modelling.