This is a varied two-year course that provides a valuable insight into the diverse technical aspects which are fundamental to the architectural profession.
You will undertake 15 credits in your first year which will give you the equivalent of an HNC in Built Environment. Following this, you will progress to year 2 where the remaining credits will see you achieve an HND in Architectural Technology.
This course is approved by the Chartered Institute of Architectural Technologists (CIAT)
The Chartered Institute of Architectural Technologists (CIAT) is a dynamic, forward-thinking and inclusive global membership qualifying body for Architectural Technology.
It represents those practising and studying within the discipline and profession. It is a membership organisation representing 10,000 members within the discipline who wish to be professionally recognised.
CIAT Approval implies that this course has been assessed in terms of content, structure, and resources and has met the Institute's requirements. If you aspire to become a professionally qualified Architectural Technician, studying an Approved programme like this will allow you certain exemptions in the Professional and Occupational Performance (POP) Record.
This is a mainly theory-based course which includes the important knowledge and skills for successful employment. These are studied in the context of both practical and theoretical classes, including the following:
- Computer aided design (REVIT/AutoCAD)
- Building information modelling (BIM) processes
- Construction technology
- Construction materials
- Building science
- Design and sketching
- Architectural procedures
- Building services
- Sustainability in construction
- Fire safety
- Health and safety
- Construction contracts
- Two years full-time
- One Higher at Level C or above, in a relevant STEM discipline such as Graphic Communication, plus three National 5s at Level C or above or equivalent (see our Qualifications Explained page for details) which must include Maths
- National Certificate: Built Environment SCQF Level 6 (with additional Maths for Construction Technician unit)
- National Certificate: Civil Engineering SCQF Level 6 (with additional Maths for Construction Technician unit)
- Level 2 Design Engineer Construct
- Foundation Apprenticeship: Civil Engineering SCQF Level 6
- Another relevant course at SCQF Level 6
- Relevant industry experience and/or other qualifications will be considered on an individual basis
In addition, internal applicants will also require a positive Internal Learner Reference (ILR).
- Year 1 MArch at various architecture schools and universities
- BSc Year 2/3 in architectural technology at various universities
- Fife College has defined articulation routes in place for this course
- Architectural technician/technologist via the Chartered Institute of Architectural Technologists’ Professional and Occupational Performance Record (known as a CIAT POP Record)
- Building standards technician
- Revit/computer aided design (CAD) technician within the Construction industry
- Technical trainee with private, local authority, government, military, or academic employers in the industry
General stationary including:
- Scaled ruler
- Drawing board – approx. £30
- Sketch pad – approx. £5
- Rotring pen set – approx. £10
- Set squares, sketching pencils – approx. £4
- You may have to attend a group interview to satisfy the entry criteria for the course
- Proof of qualifications must be brought to interview as well as suitable portfolios of work/thematic presentation to evidence your suitability against course content