This qualification is suitable for you if you hold a Practitioner qualification as specified by the Scottish Social Services Council (SSSC) such as HNC Childhood Practice or SVQ Social Services: Children & Young People at SCQF Level 7 and have achieved 120 SCQF credits. In addition, part-time learners should be working in, or have access to a placement in the Early Learning and Care sector. Due to the diversity of roles within the sector learners may not be working directly with children but may be in a coordinating role.
- Leadership skills
- Good communication
- Full-time study is one academic year and includes a mix of online and in person study. Days of study are different dependent on campus.
- Part-time study is predominately online with on-campus lectures and seminars
The overall aim of this award is to develop your ability as a reflective practitioner, strengthen your research and study skills and your knowledge and skills in childhood practice in relation to current research. It will ensure you are up to date with the government’s aspirations for children and families in Scotland and that you understand the major changes in legislation policy and guidance for the sector.
This is a 15 credit Group Award, which has a mandatory placement requirement to evidence competency, and an SVQ Assessor will be allocated to support and visit you in placement to assess your competency.
Some of the units that you will study include:
- Enhanced Professional Practice
- Leadership and Team Working
- Integrated and Collaborative Working
- Pedagogical Approaches
- Implementing Contemporary Frameworks within a Play Context
- This qualification is suitable for learners who hold a practitioner qualification as specified by the Scottish Social Services Council (SSSC). In addition, learners should be working in, or have access to a placement in the Childhood Practice sector and have acquired 120 credits points at SCQF level 7 for example HNC Childhood Practice prior to undertaking the award.
- You must be 18 years of age at start of study and have significant work experience in an early learning and childcare at Practitioner Level
An Enhanced Disclosure Scotland application is required. This will be carried out with the college if a place is offered.
This course is suitable for you if you already hold an HNC in Childhood Practice or other Childcare based HNC qualifications with Graded Unit at grade A or B.
- Learners can progress to the BA (Hons): Childhood Practice or (BA (Hons): Childhood Studies at SCQF level 9 and 10.
- The BA (Hons) Childhood Practice is the recognised SSSC registration requirement for Manager/Lead Practitioner.
- It is possible to progress on to a degree at university from this course - see our HE and Degree Pathways guide for more information
Further study may lead to qualifications such as Manager/Lead Practitioner in Early Learning and Childcare settings, or progression to studies in Education.
- Students are required to purchase stationery and textbooks at an approximate total value of £150 and have access to the internet and ICT equipment to complete online study and submit assessments.
• Evidence of interest in the childcare sector from a personal statement
• Qualifications with required number of SCQF credits as detailed on application
• Information session
• Written task
• 1:1 conversation / interview
• Eligibility for membership of the PVG scheme