Fife has a long history of providing training for the furniture industry, and we continue to develop the highest standards of skill and craftsmanship for which this course is recognised.
Design and manufacture projects are integrated to fully enhance the design and make ethos and the course aims to enable you to develop innovative and created design for furniture related artefacts.
- You will learn and develop your Practical skills, research skills and understanding of Design History.
- You will learn about the different types of softwoods and hardwoods, woodworking machines, power tools and hand tools, that you will be using as part of your workshop projects.
- Students will spend 90% of their time in the workshop carrying out practical activities.
- A summatively assess final graded will be completed and there is a chance to participate in the end of year show.
- One year full-time (after successful completion of HNC: Furniture SCQF Level 7).
- Creative Project for Artists and Designers
- 3D Design: Portfolio and Presentation
- Art and Design Context: Personal Investigation
- 3D Design: Graded Unit 2
- Optional Units
- 3D Design Digital Modelling
- Exhibition Temporary Structures and Events
- Model Making Client Commission
- Art and Design Sustainability
- Furniture Workshop Project
- Furniture: Shaped Work
Direct entry into year 2 (HND) requires the full, successful completion of the related HNC with 15 SQA credits.
For applicants who do not currently have the full 15 SQA credits, please contact us at email@example.com for further support on the options available to you to be accepted onto this HND course.
- It is possible to progress on to a degree at university from this course - see our HE and Degree Pathways guide for more information.
Designer in manufacturing industry
Shop fitting industry
Independent furniture maker
- All PPE supplied by the college
- You may be required to take part in an informal conversation as part of the application process. This group/individual conversation may be an information session, a portfolio discussion, or a skills based exercise.
- Production of an art portfolio or evidence of project/artefact manufacture.