Keen to explore your talent for computer games design? Interested in producing digital interactive media? Want to know how to design for the best user experience? If you are looking for a career in games production, digital design, interactive storytelling, or UX design, then this is the course for you.
You should have an interest in and flair for games level editing, user interface design, developing digital media and should also enjoy playing a variety of computer games. You will need great communication and team working skills and the determination to persevere until something works.
The games and digital entertainment industry is a target area for growth and needs intelligent, hard-working and innovative people to drive the future of gaming in Scotland. The career you want may not even exist yet as new roles in IT and digital development are appearing every year. This course could be your first step towards fulfilling your ambitions in the exciting and dynamic world of digital entertainment.
At the end of this course, providing you meet the articulation requirements, you may be able to progress into year 3 of a BSc (Hons) degree at one of our many partner Universities.
Please see our website for more information about progression to University and studying for a degree at Fife College.
- Software development
- Program design
- Games design
- Character design
- Problem solving
- Project management
- 2D Animation
- 3D Modelling & 3D Level Editing
- Games engines.
- Two years full-time
- Computer games design and development with Unity
- User centred design
- Designing, developing, and marketing interactive products
- Character creation and storytelling
- 2D animation
- 3D level editing and scripting with Unreal Engine
- 3D modelling and animation with 3D Max
- Developing mobile applications and games
- Team working and project management
Communication or English at SCQF Level 6 plus one of the following:
- One Higher at Grade C or above, preferably in Computing or English, plus four National 5s at Grade C or above
- Foundation Apprenticeship: Information Technology: Software Development SCQF Level 6
- National Certificate: Computer Games Development (Creative Content and Animation) SCQF Level 6
- National Certificate: Computer Games Development (Programing) SCQF Level 6
- National Certificate: Computing with Digital Media (Web and Mobile Applications) SCQF Level 6
- National Certificate: Computing with Digital Media SCQF Level 6
- Fife College has defined articulation routes in place for this course
- A variety of degree courses in computer arts, digital media, and games design and production are available at Abertay University, University of the West Scotland, and Glasgow Caledonian University
- A variety of degree courses in interactive media design and development are available at a range of universities in Scotland
- Level designer
- User experience designer
- Games producer
- Games designer
- Games tester
- Interactive content developer
- Mobile applications developer
- Flash drive/memory stick
- You may be required to take part in an informal conversation as part of the application process. This group/individual conversation may be an information session, a portfolio discussion, or a skills based exercise