COURSE INFORMATIONThis course is for you if you are interested in pursuing a career in sound production and wish to develop the knowledge and creative and technical skills required for the wider sound production industries for example, Film Sound, Sound Design, Games Sound, etc. It is suitable for school leavers, adult returners, self-employed/ freelance workers looking to up-skill.
Working on a range of projects from your first week, you'll cover audio engineering, music production, sound design for games and film, re-mixing using a range of Digital Audio Workstations create or manipulate songs and soundscapes.
The qualification will enable progression to employment within the sound production industries or to further study within higher education. This creative and technical course is delivered through very practical activities. Through theoretical work and research your confidence and skills will grow by working in our uniquely designed specialist professional recording studio complex and on external projects.
Successful completion of the first year of the HND will lead to the second year.
- Signal Paths; Microphone, Pre-Amp, Mixing Desk, Patch-bay & Outboard
- Digital Audio Workstation skills, (Ableton, Pro Tools)
- Recording, Mixing & Mastering Skills
- Dante Pro AV Networking Technology
- Project Management Skills
- Live Sound Skills
- Sound Design Skills
- Teamworking, Communication Skills
- Research and Analytical Skills
- One year full-time
- Microphone types and choosing and using them
- Recording and mixing techniques, studio & location
- Acoustic properties and soundwaves
- Digital audio workstation set-up and use
- Post production sound form film and games
- Creative music re-mixing
- You will explore how sound supports other creative content, e.g. Sound Design, Game Sound, Film Sound, Television, Radio, Podcast and Vlog production. Whatever the medium consumed, it is always more accessible and engaging with well produced audio.
- Direct entry into year 2 (HND) requires the full, successful completion of the SCQF Level 7 HNC Sound Production course with 15 SQA credits.
- If you do not currently have the full 15 SQA credits, please contact us at email@example.com further support on the options available to you to be accepted onto this HND course.
- It is possible to progress on to a degree at university from this course - see our HE and Degree Pathways guide for more information.
- Entry to year 3 of a related degree is possible at many universities in Scotland and England.
- Audio engineer/producer
- Sound engineer for studio, location, live events, theatre
- Broadcasting assistant (TV, Film and Radio)
- Live sound Tour Manager or Tour support
- Corporate Events e.g. Audio Visual Technician
- Film/computer/computer games/multimedia industries
- You may need to purchase headphones, portable hard-drive(s). We will advise you before you purchase.
- You may be required to take part in an informal conversation as part of the application process.
- This group/individual conversation may be an information session, a portfolio discussion, or a skills based exercise.