This course is designed to give you an accessible route into acting and performing arts. We encourage you to exercise imagination and creativity whilst you develop important skills, attitudes and attributes for a professional career in the Performing Arts sector.
You will be learning independently and as part of a group and display critical thinking, enthusiasm, and confidence. The course allows you to develop practical skills in creating, presenting and producing drama whilst encouraging you to be expressive in different ways.
Working towards success on a drama course helps you to appreciate cultural values, identities and ideas.
You will analyse and evaluate how the use of self-expression, language and movement can develop your ideas for presenting drama whilst exploring form, structure, genre and style.
- Drama, acting and performance skills
- Communicating thoughts and ideas when creating drama
- Develop a range of skills in presenting drama
- A range of production skills
- Employment skills, increased confidence and communication skills
- Working independently and with others
- One year full-time
- Attendance is normally over 2-3 days per week
- Creative industries: an introduction
- Creative industries: skills development
- Creative industries: the creative process
- Creative industries: creative project
- Acting Methods and Practitioners
- Drama Skills
- Drama Production
- Community drama: drama/games sessions
- Get Connected- an online digital course
- Lighting and Sound
Ideally you will have some formal or informal experience of Drama education but it is not essential.
Please use your personal statement section of the online application form to describe either your experience and/ or ambitions and why Acting and Performance is your choice of career.
You will need one of the following:
- Three National 4s including English
- Relevant industry experience and/or other qualifications will be considered on an individual basis
- Advanced Certificate: Acting and Theatre Performance SCQF Level 6
- In certain circumstances some students could potentially advance to the HNC Acting and Performance course at SCQF Level 7
This course should be considered as the starting point of your learning journey with a view to studying Level 6, 7 and 8 in successive years to be assured of a possessing the confidence, knowledge, skills and ability for a successful and rewarding career.
There may be opportunities to assist with our own Studio 38 Youth Theatre provision.
Various roles exist for new entrants to performing arts whether on stage, behind the scenes or front of house.
performance roles are usually available via audition and can range from amateur dramatics, musical theatre, pantomime and Fringe productions
- None but you will be expected to wear loose, comfortable clothing and white soled trainers. A water bottle is also recommended.
- Apply online
- You will be invited to participate in a short duration drama workshop
- You will be required to take part in an informal conversation as part of the application process. This group/individual conversation may be an information session, or a skills based exercise