Working with young children and helping them learn essential skills for life is very rewarding and worthwhile. The course is for you if you already have some experience of working with children and or certificated academic qualifications at SCQF level 4 or above. This SCQF Level 5 course combines theory and practical experience for working in an early learning and childcare setting, allowing you to develop an awareness and understanding of all aspects of children’s growth, development and the importance of play, from birth to 16 years. You will participate in a number of practical experiences, online learning opportunities plus a short work placement experience to develop your skills and understanding for working with children and young people. As part of your studies you will explore mental health and well-being that will develop your resilience and support your knowledge of this contemporary subject.
- Organisational skills
- Good communication skills
- Begin to develop the skills of a reflective Early Years Worker
- Full-time study is one academic year and days of study are different depending on campus.
In studying the foundations of Early Learning and Childcare, you will develop and prepare skills required for work within the childcare industry, gaining an understanding of the key issues involved in caring for children and young people. This will include understanding the individual child’s need, how to provide for development and education from birth onwards and the value of play experiences.
Some of the units you will study include:
- Child Development and Health
- Children and Young People: Rights and Protection
- Children and Young People: The Process of Play
- Supporting Children with Additional Support Needs
- Mental Health & Wellbeing Group Award ant SCQF Level 5
You will take part in activities in and out of the classroom to support the understanding of indoor and outdoor play and benefits to a child's development and understanding.
Whilst a short work placement experience will be arranged by the college in an after-school setting, creche or playgroup so that you can put the theory from the classroom into practice.
As part of your studies you will explore mental health and wellbeing that will not only develop resilience but support your knowledge of this contemporary subject.
You must be 16 years of age at the start of the course of study and possess one of the following:
- Four National 4s or equivalent, including English
- Certificate: First Steps to a Career in Childcare incorporating National 4: Early Education and Childcare – Skills for Work
- Alternative equivalent qualifications will be considered on an individual basis
- National Certificate: Childhood Practice SCQF Level 6
- Advanced Certificate: Health and Social Care (Access to Nursing and Care HNCs) SCQF Level 6
- PDA Educational Support Assistance SCQF Level 6 (part-time study)
- SVQ: Social Services (Children and Young People) SCQF Level 6 (work-based learning)
- Employment in the child, health and social care sector on further study and completion of registered childcare qualifications
- Students are required to purchase stationery and textbooks at an approximate value of £40.
- You should also ensure that you have appropriate clothing and outdoor footwear as you will be expected to participate in outdoor learning activities.
- Evidence of interest in the childcare sector from a personal statement
- Qualifications as detailed on application
- Information session
- Written task
- 1:1 conversation / interview
- Reference to support application or school transition form where applicable
- Must be 16 years of age at start of study