This group award combines theory and practical experiences for working in an Early Years setting. While developing an awareness and understanding of all aspects of children’s growth and development from birth to 16 years.
You will participate in a number of practical experiences along with online learning opportunities. As part of your studies you will explore mental health and wellbeing that will not only develop resilience but support your knowledge of this contemporary subject
Assessments are scheduled across the year and are mainly National Assessment Bank Material.
You will also be required to complete a folio of to evidence your understanding and knowledge of the role of a childcare worker.
- organisational skills
- good communication skills
- resilient and
- begin to develop the skills of a reflective Early Years Worker
- Full-time study is one academic year and days of study are different depending on campus.
- The Introduction to Early Education & Childcare course is perfect for young people and adults who are looking to get back into education or those who are progressing on from our Level 4 Childcare programmes and or our Schools College Partnership courses.
- Whilst studying the foundations of Early Learning and Childcare, you will develop and prepare skills required for work within the Childcare industry, gaining an understanding of the key issues involved in caring for young children, including their needs and how to provide for development and education from birth onwards:
- Child Development and Health
- Children and Young People: Rights and Protection
- Children and Young People: The Process of Play
- Supporting Children with Additional Support Needs
- Mental Health & Wellbeing
You will take part in activities in and out of the classroom and undertake a short work placement. Patterns of placement may vary between campuses.
- You must be 16 years of age at the start of the course of study and possess one of the following:
- Four National 4s or equivalent (see our Qualifications Explained page for details) including English
- Certificate: First Steps to a Career in Childcare incorporating National 4: Early Education and Childcare – Skills for Work
- Certificate: Practical Care Skills
- Alternative equivalent qualifications will be considered on an individual basis
- Employment in the child, health and social care sector on further study and completion of registrable childcare qualifications.
- Students are required to purchase stationery and textbooks at an approximate value of £40.
- You should also ensure that you have appropriate clothing and outdoor footwear as you will be expected to participate in outdoor learning activities.