This course provides an introduction to all areas of the health and social care industry and is aimed at those who have yet to decide which area they wish to work in.
It offers a route to access nursing and social care courses at level 6. The units of study provide knowledge of the core values of the industry which apply to childcare, healthcare, and social care, as well as some specialised units such as mental health.
- Working with others, problem solving and communication skills.
- You will develop knowledge of individual and social behaviour and you will learn how to use this knowledge to support personal and professional relationships in the future.
- You will gain an understanding of the social, physical, emotional, cognitive and cultural needs of people who use care services.
- One year full time (2 and a half days of classes per week, and self directed study).
- National 5: Care units.
- Mental Health and Wellbeing Award.
- Basic Counselling skills, child development, working with additional support needs, other units relevant to practical skills within the health care and social care industry.
- The Core Skills of ICT, numeracy and communication will be developed and certificated on this course.
- There is a mix of practical & theoretical units, and you will be expected to attend College approximately 2 1/2 days per week for classes, as well as 3 hours of self directed study per week.
- No work placements or additional costs are required.There are no exams on this course, instead there is a mix of continuous assessment, project work, and practice based activities.
One of the following:
- Four National 4s
- Completion of all units on another appropriate SCQF Level 4 course
- Advanced Certificate: Health and Social Care (Access to Nursing and all Care HNCs).
- National Certificate: Early Education and Childcare SCQF Level 6.
- SVQ: Social Services and Healthcare at SCQF Level 7.
- Support worker roles in social care.
- Various jobs in the care and social care areas (after further study).
- You will be invited to take part in a discussion where you can discuss your interest in health care or social care, and find out more about the demands of working in these industries. You might also be asked to complete an exercise or an activity.
- Your personal statement in the application is very important, and is your chance to explain why you want to work in these areas.