Working with young children and helping them learn essential skills for life is very rewarding and worthwhile.
The course is suited to applicants who already have some experience of working with children and certificated academic qualifications at SCQF level 4 or above.
This group award combines theory and practical work experience in an Early Years setting. While developing an awareness and understanding of all aspects of children’s growth and development from birth to 16 years. Along with providing the practical skills needed to recognise and meet the needs of the developing child.
You will undertake a short placement in an approved setting selected by the College. This will enable you to gain direct experience of working with children; linking theory to practice along with enhancing communication and interpersonal skills
Assessments are scheduled across the year and are National Assessment Bank Materials and placement-based work.
- Organisational skills
- Good communicator
- Short full-time study starting from January
- A career in early learning and childcare involves working with pre-school and school age children often in a play group, out of school care, nursery or crèche setting
- This course introduces working with children and develops the skills, values and attributes required to study within the field of childcare. You will learn about the importance of play, child development, how to children’s rights and protection and how to support children with additional support needs. You will also develop the knowledge to organise a safe and secure environment for children while planning and participating in various indoor and outdoor play experiences
- This course combines theory and a short practical work experience in a childcare setting. You will gain an understanding of the key issues involved in caring for young children, including their needs and how to provide for development and education from birth onwards
Some of the units you will study include:
- Development and wellbeing of children and young people
- Working in early learning and childcare
- Contemporary families
- Children and young people: rights and protection
- Supporting children and young people with additional support needs
- Creating outdoor learning opportunities
- Play in early learning and childcare
You will take part in activities in and out of the classroom and undertake a short work placement.
You must be 16 years of age at the start of the course of study and possess one of the following:
- Four National 4s including English
- Certificate: First Steps to a Career in Childcare including National 4: Early Learning and Childcare –
- Skills for Work
- Alternative equivalent qualifications will be considered on an individual basis
- You will also require a PVG check through Disclosure Scotland in order to go out on the placement(s) as part of this course
- National Certificate: Early Education and Childcare SCQF Level 6
- SVQ: Social Services (Children and Young People) SCQF Level 6
- Advanced Certificate: Health and Social Care (Access to Nursing and Care HNCs) SCQF Level 6
- Employment in the child, health and social care sector on further study and completion of registrable childcare qualifications
- Students are required to purchase stationery and textbooks at an approximate value of £40
- You should also ensure that you have appropriate clothing and outdoor footwear as you will be expected to participate in outdoor learning activities whilst in college and on work placement
- Evidence of interest in the childcare sector from a personal statement
- Qualifications as detailed on application
- You may be required to take part in an informal conversation as part of the application process. This group/individual conversation may be an information session, a portfolio discussion, or a skills based exercise
- Reference to support application or school transition form where applicable
- Must be 16 years of age at start of study
- Eligibility for membership of the PVG scheme to attend the mandatory workplace experience