The 2 year modern apprenticeship will lead to a SQA HNC Architectural Technology SCQF level 7 and SVQ 3 in Built Environment Design SCQF 6. Modern apprenticeships offer learners over 16 years in paid employment the opportunity to train for jobs at technician level. The course is delivered one day a week in 2 semesters of 18 weeks over 2 years. This will be delivered by live lectures in classroom, face to face. There will be 12 units (subjects) delivered over 2 years, which will be assessed by a combination of exams and coursework, which is supported by a our online Virtual Learning Environment. You will be appointed a work-place assessor at the start of your course, who will support the work-based learning element of the MA. This is supported by an online portfolio used to gather evidence during the course of your employment.
The skills that you will progress to will be lateral thinking while conducting construction related projects. Also you will build up great knowledge while developing a network of contacts to further your career in the professional technician side of industry.
The following units will be studied by the learner:
- Computer Aided Design (CAD)
- Domestic Technology
- Sketching & Drawing
- Industrial Commercial Technology
- Architectural Procedures & Planning
- Design of Building Structures
- Building Services
- Modern Methods of Construction
You will develop transferable skills in these subjects areas which relate to your chosen profession. In addition the work-place element is tailored specifically for your area of knowledge and specialism.
One of the following:
- National Certificate in the Built Environment or Civil Engineering
- Foundation Apprenticeship in Civil Engineering
- One Higher in a relevant subject (Maths, English, Graphic Communication, a Science subject) with 3/4 National 5s (one must be Maths)
- Previous construction/trade craft experience
- Applicants need to be motivated and work well as a team and will be expected to work to high standards.
- BSc (Hons) Architectural Technology.
- We have formal articulation routes in place for Napier University & Robert Gordon University.
- MA Urban Planning at the University of Dundee.
- Architectural Technologist/Technician
- Building Standards Surveyor
- Planning technician
- CAD Technician
- General stationery required: scientific calculator, scale ruler, sketch pads. Rotring pen set, set square & sketching pencil.
- Applicants will need to have access to a laptop or desktop PC with internet access
- Group or individual interview will be either conducted in the College or online.
- Applicants should make sure they have a reference from their employer and complete a personal statement.