This course will provide you with the skills and qualifications required for entry to health and life sciences degrees, as well as professions allied to medicine. Scottish Wider Access Programmes, also known as SWAP courses, are for adults who have few or no formal qualifications and who have been out of full-time education for at least three years (five years if you have Highers or an HNC/HND).
SWAP courses provide an alternative route into Higher Education and are designed to give adult learners intensive academic preparation as well as the opportunity to develop the skills and confidence required to study at Higher Education level. Access to Health and Life Sciences is full-time for one year and prepares you for entry into Higher Education through recognised progression routes at colleges or universities in Scotland (for more information about SWAP visit their website).
This course is also suitable for other students who do not meet the SWAP conditions to access HNC level science courses.
- One year full-time
- The Core Skills of ICT, numeracy, and communication will be developed and certificated on this course
- Although there are no formal entry requirements for this course, a good general education with some maths and communication – ideally two National 4s – would be advantageous
- Entry is by informal discussion where you will be asked to demonstrate that you have the relevant life skills to successfully complete the SWAP course
- Evidence of life skills may include level of maturity, and experience of skills related to the potential choice of degree subject including paid employment or volunteering and awareness of subject choice
- HNC: Applied Sciences SCQF Level 7
- Biology degree
- Biomedical science degree
- On completion of the degree course, you will be qualified to enter a career in health and life sciences