COURSE INFORMATIONThis course is intended for those who want to develop knowledge, understanding and skills relevant to careers within the Construction and Built Environment and for those that may be currently working in, or desire to work in, this industry. This is an ideal course if you want to progress on to the HNC/HND and pursue a career in Quantity Surveying, Architectural Technology, or Construction Management positions.
Over the one year the skills developed are:
- Better understanding of Construction and the Built Environment
- Numerical skills
- Software skills
- Teamwork & Communications skills
- Sketching & Drawing skills
- One year full-time
This is a mainly theory-based course which includes important knowledge and skills for successful employment. These are studied in the context of both practical and theoretical classes, including the following:
- Building services
- Construction technology
- Computer aided design (CAD)
- Construction measurement and costing
- Drawing for construction
- Construction materials
- Site surveying
- Health and safety
- Sustainable design for architecture
Site Visits and Guest Speakers will be used to enhance the learning.
One of the following:
- Three National 4s and two National 5s at Grade C or above which must include Maths and English A relevant course at SCQF Level 5 in either construction or engineering and SCQF Level 5 Maths: Craft 1 (F3HV11).
- Relevant industrial experience or other qualifications will be considered on an individual basis.
- HNC: Construction Management SCQF Level 7 (progression to this course at Fife College will require you to complete the additional unit Maths for Construction Technicians in addition to achieving the group award)
- HNC: Architectural Technology SCQF Level 7 (progression to this course at Fife College will require you to complete the additional unit Maths for Construction Technicians in addition to achieving the group award)
- HND: Quantity Surveying SCQF Level 8 (progression to this course at Fife College will require you to complete the additional unit Maths for Construction Technicians in addition to achieving the group award) - 2 year programme.
- HN qualifications in building surveying
- SVQ: Construction Site Supervision (Building and Civil Engineering) SCQF Level 7
- SVQ: Site Management: Building and Civil Engineering SCQF Level 9 and then SVQ: Construction Management SCQF Level 11
- Architectural technician
- Building technician
- Civil engineering technician
- Quantity surveying technician
- Site agent
- Apprenticeship in an individual trade
- Technical trainee with private, local authority, government, military or academic employers in the industry
- General stationery including a scientific calculator and a scaled ruler.
- You will be advised on the appropriate types to purchase once enrolled.
- You may be required to take part in an informal conversation as part of the application process. This group/individual conversation may be an information session, a portfolio discussion, or a skills based exercise.
- Proof of qualifications must be brought to this, as well as suitable portfolios of work to evidence your suitability against course content.