This programme is a blend on practical and theoretical within the construction civils area and what would assist you in gaining employment. You will learn hands on skills within practical subjects. There are opportunities to be interviewed with companies that undertake Civil and construction operations work at the end of this course.
- The valuable skills and knowledge associated with Road Drainage, Lay Kerbing, Lay and Finish Concrete and Temporary Excavation Support
- Preparing for industry employment (VLE) The college week for this course is 30 hours per week in college and 10 hours per week self directed study over 18 weeks and most of the time you will be outside undertaking the practical units of the course.
On this 18 week course you will study
- Workplace Health Safety and Welfare
- Conform to Productive Work Practices
- Set Out Secondary Dimensional Work Controls: An Introduction
- Install Road Drainage
- Lay Kerbs and Channels
- Excavate Holes and Trenches
- Reinstate Ground Conditions
- Form Concrete Structures
- Lay and Finish Concrete
- Provide Temporary Excavation Support
- Study and Guidance support
- Meta-skills portfolio
- Sustainability in Construction (VLE)
- There will be some written assessments at the end of each unit as well as the practical.
One of the following:
- Two National 4s in English and Maths or relevant Technical Subjects.
- Successful completion of the School College Partnership course Skills for Work:
- Construction Craft (Fife schools only).
- Construction Futures with lecturer recommendation.
- Relevant industry experience and/or other qualifications will be considered on an individual basis.
- SVQ in Construction and Civil Engineering Operations (Construction).
- All materials will be provided.
- Group information session and application including a transition form.