This course is an introduction to hand skills for a General Building Operative within a construction environment (GBO).
This course will allow you to gain an understanding of knowledge and practical hand skills within a construction related environment, to allow you to be employed by local or regional construction businesses.
This basic level programme will develop your hand skills with regards the different construction elements which are required to be completed within large or small construction projects.
- Hand Skills
- Problem Solving
- Working with Others
- Customer Etiquette
- Knowledge and Understanding
- Team Working
- One year full-time
- 2 and a half days per week
- Path Laying (Gravel, Conrete) Brickwork,
- Levelling Using Spirit Levels or Theodolite
- Health and Safety
- Core Skills (ICT, Numeracy & Communications)
One of the following:
- Two National 4s in English and Maths or relevant Technical Subjects
- Successful completion of the School College Partnership course Skills for Work: Construction Craft (Fife schools only)
- Certificate: Access to Construction with lecturer recommendation
- Relevant industry experience and/or other qualifications will be considered on an individual basis
- National Progression Award: Construction SCQF Level 5
- Scottish Vocational Qualifications (SVQs) in construction crafts
- This entry level course is a great way to start a career in construction.
- You will be better informed about choices which you will need to make when considering a vocation in the construction industry.
- This course provides the underpinning knowledge required to continue Further Education in construction or seek an apprenticeship within the industry.
- This is a basic construction course which incorporates construction ground works and would not be suited to trades people. Who already have a higher qualification.
- You may be required to take part in an informal conversation as part of the application process. This group/individual conversation may be an information session, a portfolio discussion, or a skills based exercise or a numeracy test.