This exciting one-year course is a hands-on project based course designed as an introduction to career paths in radio, television, film, digital media, digital journalism, or media and communications.
Based in classrooms and our professional radio and TV studios, you will be working on your own and in teams. With the support of staff, you’ll develop a broad range of creative and work-ready skills including; creative analysis, creative process and production, problem solving, working with others and entrepreneurialism.
This course is approx. 70% practical and 30% theory and knowledge and should appeal to those with radio, podcasting, media, screen, film, video music, music technology or performing arts/technical experience or an interest in subjects such as electronics or physics.
- You will also develop an understanding of the wider creative industries and how your skills can contribute to the success across a range of roles including radio, film and television, media, and much more
- You will develop work-ready skills through a range of creative briefs for internal and external clients and the course will prepare you for further study at HND and/or degree level
- One year full-time
- You will learn about the fundamental techniques and practices of video/film, radio and podcast production in a practical setting utilising current technology
- You will develop the key underpinning knowledge and skills in the connection and configuration of audio equipment and production techniques
- You will develop an ability to understand and appropriately use current standard professional file formats and rich media content distribution and storage techniques
One of the following:
- Two National 5s at Grade C or above, including English and either a Creative, Media, or Science based subject
- Foundation Apprenticeship: Creative and Digital Media SCQF Level 6 plus two National 5s at Grade C or above
- Another relevant course at SCQF Level 5
- Mature students with related work experience will be considered on an individual basis
- HNC: Screen Production SCQF Level 7
- HNC: Radio (and Podcast Production7 SCQF Level 8
- HNC: Media and Communications SCQF Level 7
- HNC: Practical Journalism SCQF Level 7
- HNC: Sound Production SCQF Level 7
- HND: Broadcast Media Production SCQF Level 8
- Potentially Bachelor of Arts at University after a suitable HND
- Successful candidates of creative industries courses can find work in a wide variety of challenging and rewarding career paths
- Think of the music, video, and other digital content you and your friends and family consume every day
- The creative industries are the fastest growing sector of the UK economy and there are many roles available for multi-skilled individuals
- Further information can be found at the Creative Skillset job roles page
Students on this course may be provided with a small amount of equipment to assist their studies.
- You may be required to take part in an informal conversation as part of the application process.
Expected Jobs 2020
Expected Jobs 2023
Statistics are representative based on National data collated and provided by Emsi Economic Modelling.