This course provides a blend of learning which can lead to opportunities within large/small companies across a wide range of sectors, including electrical services, oil and gas, and renewable energy.
At Glenrothes Campus, you’ll specialise in electrical engineering including electronics. At Dunfermline Campus, you’ll study electrical engineering and engineering systems.
You will receive a high level of practical training and study the underpinning theories. You will achieve a National Certificate award in Electrical Engineering at SCQF Level 6, and in addition, there are two elements of electrical workshop training included in this course.
According to Engineering UK, 124,000 engineers and technicians with core engineering skills will be required each year in the UK alone.
Did you know that Engineering apprentices earn significantly more than the national apprentice minimum wage and the average Scottish engineer salary is 28% higher per year than the average Scottish salary.
So, there has never been a better time to start your career in Engineering!
- One year full-time
- Two years (day release)
- Soldering and circuit assembly techniques
- Introduction to electrical wiring
- Electronic theory
- Electrical theory
- Electronic Network Analysis
- Electrical Plant Maintenance
- Three Phase Induction Motors
- Programmable Logic Controller
- Engineering Project
- The Core Skills of ICT, numeracy and communication will be developed and certificated on this course
One of the following:
- Three National 5s at Level C or above which must include Mathematics and Physics or a Technology subject or equivalent (see our Qualifications Explained page for details)
- Successful completion of a relevant Engineering course at SCQF Level 5 including Mathematics Craft 1 and Craft 2 (or equivalent)
- Relevant industry experience and/or other qualifications will be considered on an individual basis
In addition, internal applicants will also require a positive Internal Learner Reference (ILR).
- HNC: Electrical Engineering SCQF Level 7
Completion of this and further courses may lead to careers in the following areas:
- Manufacturing engineering
- Electrical engineering
- Renewable engineering
- Systems engineering
- Modern Apprenticeships
- Scientific calculator
- Scaled rule
- Online application