On this course you will gain a recognised SQA National Certificate Fabrication & Welding at SCQF Level 5 as well as a large amount of practical training to develop your understanding and skills in the processes and techniques used in fabrication and welding. This National Certificate is also a mandatory element of the Modern Apprenticeship in Fabrication & Welding.
Engineering is everywhere, helping transform people's lives around the globe. The work that engineers do is creative and hands-on. It's about designing things, finding solutions and improving things.
Engineering is one of the few career options that spans every sector, from sport to space. So whatever you care most about, there will be some engineering involved.
According to Engineering UK, 124,000 engineers and technicians with core engineering skills will be required each year in the UK alone.
Did you know that Engineering apprentices earn significantly more than the national apprentice minimum wage and the average Scottish engineer salary is 28% higher per year than the average Scottish salary.
So, there has never been a better time to start your career in Engineering!
- One year full-time
- One year part-time (must be working within fabrication and welding and be employer funded/self-funded)
Your course will include important knowledge and skills to enhance your employment and career progression options including:
- Maths: Craft 1
- Health and safety: engineering
- Fabrication processes
- Welding processes
- Fabrication skills
- Metal inert gas (MIG) welding skills
- The Core Skills of ICT, numeracy and communication will be developed and certificated on this course
One of the following:
- Three National 4's including Maths, English, and a Science/Craft subject
- Successful completion of the three National 5 Mathematics Units or the two National 5 English Units will also be acceptable if the applicant has achieved these rather than National 4’s in these subjects
- Another relevant course at SCQF Level 4
- HNC: Fabrication, Welding and Inspection SCQF Level 7
- Modern Apprenticeship
- A4 folder
- Note pad
- You may be required to take part in an informal conversation as part of the application process. This group/individual conversation may be an information session, a portfolio discussion, or a skills based exercise
Expected Jobs 2020
Expected Jobs 2023
Statistics are representative based on National data collated and provided by Emsi Economic Modelling.