This course introduces you to the exciting world of creative graphic and digital design. Using the very latest Adobe Creative Suite of software packages, as well as traditional methods, you will develop creativity and skills to whilst working on a range of projects and creative briefs.
You will develop work-ready skills through design and presentation projects including; brochures, posters, web pages, magazines, and advertising. You will build a varied portfolio of work as you develop skills in many different aspects of graphic design and visual communication.
We will support you whilst working on real-life projects for internal and external clients where you will also develop work-ready skills and prepare for progression on to our HND in Visual Communication (which also leads to our Bachelor of Arts Visual Communication and Digital Publishing degree).
- Graphic design: media design
- Art/design project: graphic design
- Photography: digital imaging
- Design realisation
- Two-dimensional design: the design process
- Computer applications: design
- Art and design: introduction to illustration
- Art and design: introduction to graphic design
- Creative project
- One year full-time
In addition to a portfolio of artwork/graphic design work, one of the following:
- Two National 5s at Level C or above or equivalent (see our Qualifications Explained page for details) ideally including English or Graphic Communication or Art and Design
- Art and Design course at SCQF Level 5
- Another relevant creative course at SCQF Level 5
- Mature students will be considered on an individual basis based on a portfolio of art and design work in their field of study and experience
- Intermediate Certificate: Art and Design Portfolio
- Another appropriate creative course at SCQF Level 5 and a portfolio of work
In addition, internal applicants will also require a positive Internal Learner Reference (ILR).
- HND: Visual Communication SQCF Level 8
- BA Visual Communication and Digital Publishing SCQF Level 9 (After HND Visual Communication)
- Junior technician in art and design or visual art
- Trainee graphic technician
- Junior digital design assistant
- Individual interview
- Portfolio of work
- Personal statement