On this course you will gain a recognised SQA National Certificate in Electrical Engineering as SCQF Level 5 as well as a large amount of practical experience in both electrical wiring installation and electronics. You will be introduced to various wiring techniques for installing domestic lighting and socket circuits using sheathed cable. You will also learn how to wire and install industrial conduit systems using single core cable.
This course will also introduce you to digital electronics through practical exercises using logic gates. It will improve your chances of gaining an electrical apprenticeship with local electrical contractors such as RB Grants in Kirkcaldy and EW Edwardson Ltd. in Glenrothes.
This qualification is recognised by Fife Council and will also allow you entry to higher level courses such as National Certificate: Electrical Engineering SCQF Level 6.
You will also study maths, communications, and IT to develop your Core Skills.
Engineering is everywhere, helping transform people's lives around the globe. The work that engineers do is creative and hands-on. It's about designing things, finding solutions and improving things.
Engineering is one of the few career options that spans every sector, from sport to space. So whatever you care most about, there will be some engineering involved.
According to Engineering UK, 124,000 engineers and technicians with core engineering skills will be required each year in the UK alone.
Did you know that Engineering apprentices earn significantly more than the national apprentice minimum wage and the average Scottish engineer salary is 28% higher per year than the average Scottish salary.
So, there has never been a better time to start your career in Engineering!
- One year full-time
- Soldering and circuit assembly techniques
- Introduction to electrical wiring
- Electronic theory
- Electrical theory
- Combination Logic
- Safe Working Practices
- Electrical Testing and Maintenance
- Industrial wiring techniques
- Three National 4's or equivalent (see our Qualifications Explained page for details) which must include Mathematics (C747 74), English and a Science or Technical subject
- Successful completion of the three National 5 Mathematics Units or the two National 5 English Units will also be acceptable if the applicant has achieved these rather than National 4’s in these subjects
In addition, internal applicants will also require a positive Internal Learner Reference (ILR).
- National Certificate: Electrical Engineering SCQF Level 6
Completion of this and further courses may lead to careers in the following areas:
- Manufacturing engineering
- Electrical engineering
- Renewable engineering
- Systems engineering
- Modern Apprenticeships
- A4 folder
- Note pad
- Online application