The course will allow you to gain an understanding of knowledge and practical hand skills within a construction related environment, to allow you to be employed by local or regional construction businesses.
This SCQF Level 5 programme will develop your hand skills with regards Carpentry & Joinery which are required to be completed within large or small construction projects.
- Hand skills
- Problem solving
- Working with others
- Customer etiquette
- Knowledge and understanding
- Team working
- Halbeath & Stenton Campus
- One year full time
- 15 hours at college per week
- Carpentry and Joinery: An Introduction.
- Develop Bench Joinery Skills.
- Manufacture Joinery Components.
- Develop Constructional Carpentry Skills.
- Develop Site Joinery Skills.
- Carpentry and Joinery Repair and Maintenance setting-out.
- levelling using spirit levels or Theodolite.
- Health & Safety, Core skills (ICT, Numeracy & Communications) Employability.
One of the following:
- Certificate: Construction Futures.
- National 5 Practical Craft Skills at Grade C or above, plus four National 4s including Maths and English.
- Relevant industry experience and/or other qualifications will be considered on an individual basis.
- Scottish Vocational Qualifications (SVQs) in construction crafts.
- This entry level course is a great way to start a career in construction.
- You will be better informed about choices which you will need to make when considering a vocation in the construction industry.
- This course provides the underpinning knowledge required to continue Further Education in construction or seek an apprenticeship within the industry.
- You may be required to take part in an informal conversation as part of the application process. This group/individual conversation may be an information session, a portfolio discussion, or a skills based exercise.
- This is an SCQF Level 5 construction course which incorporates Carpentry & Joinery and would not be suited to trades applicants who already obtain a higher qualification.