Working with young children and helping them learn essential skills for life is very rewarding and worthwhile.
This course is suited to those who have limited experience of working with children and academic study.
You will develop the knowledge to organise a safe environment for children, to plan for play experiences along with study units that will provide an introduction to child development and how to care for a child’s needs.
This course also contains a number of college assessed units which will assist in the development of the skills and attitudes required for the progression into the field of early years study, along with a short work placement within a childcare setting.
- Team work
- Organisational skills
- Good communication skills
- One year full-time
- A career in early learning and child care involves working with pre-school and school age children often in a play group, out of school care, nursery or crèche setting
- This course provides an introduction to working with children and develops the skills, values required to study within the field of childcare
Some of the units you will study include:
- Working in early learning and childcare
- Child development
- Play in early learning and childcare
- Care of children
- Maintenance of a safe environment for children
- History of childcare
- Promote the safeguarding of children and young people
- The Core Skills of ICT, numeracy and communication will be developed and certificated on this course
You will take part in activities in and out of the classroom and undertake a short work placement.
You must be 16 years of age at the start of the course and possess one of the following:
- Two National 4s, one of which should be English, or equivalent
- All the units from an appropriate care course at SCQF Level 3, such as Developing Skills for Care
- Relevant experience will be considered on an individual basis for those without formal qualifications
- You will also require a PVG check through Disclosure Scotland in order to go out on the placement(s) as part of this course
- Intermediate Certificate: Early Education and Childcare incorporating National 5: Early Education and Childcare – Skills for Work
- SVQ: Social Services (Children and Young People) SCQF Level 6
- National Certificate: Child, Health and Social Care SCQF Level 5
- Employment in the child, health and social care sector on further study and completion of registrable childcare qualifications
- Students are required to purchase stationery
- You should also ensure that you have appropriate clothing and outdoor footwear as you will be expected to participate in outdoor learning activities whilst in college and on work placement
- Evidence of interest in the childcare sector from a personal statement
- Qualifications as detailed on application
- You may be required to take part in an informal conversation as part of the application process. This group/individual conversation may be an information session, a portfolio discussion, or a skills based exercise
- Reference to support application or school transition form where applicable
- Must be 16 years of age at start of study
- Eligibility for membership of the PVG scheme to attend the mandatory work place experience