Design Engineer Construct!® (DEC!) is an accredited learning course for secondary school pupils and has been expertly developed to create and inspire the next generation of Built Environment professionals. Through a project-based approach, DEC! applies pure academic subjects to the latest construction industry practices.
The result is that you end up with real-world practical experience and employability skills from being able to conduct land surveys to generating 3D computer models and embracing the exciting digital technologies current being used in the built environment sector.
Learning in context
Integral to the activities within the Design Engineer Construct!® course is an understanding of number and a requirement for good standards of literacy.
Embedded within the learning tasks are lots of opportunities for you to explore the need for mathematical knowledge by understanding where and how it is applied in the world of work.
Similarly, literacy skills are enhanced by integrated opportunities to prepare reports, presentations, feedback – oral and written, and other types of language based outcomes many of which are presented to industry specialists.
Design Engineer Construct!® also enables you to explore some of the key themes that challenge society in general through particular examples and projects within the built environment sector.
The project based learning approach to these key themes encourages you to fully understand and explore topics, to appreciate local and national contexts, and to understand the complexities of finding solutions to important issues.
Themes within the course
- Sustainability and the environment
- Design thinking
- Materials and their properties
- Project management
- 1 academic year Tuesday and Thursday afternoon in collaboration with the school college partnership
- The course will expand beyond the content of Level 1 and but still in the context of the practical and theoretical aspects of Built Environment professions
- You will experience topics such as building information modelling (BIM), surveying, design, technology, materials, and structural engineering, extending beyond the Level 1 by gaining more knowledge of technology, legislation, and procurement
- You will have access to the latest software, technology, and equipment which will enrich the learning experience to best prepare for progression to university, college or employment
- Prior to your informal discussion to ascertain suitability for the course, you will need to be planning to study a minimum of one Higher in a relevant discipline such as Graphic Communication, Physics, Engineering Science, Art, or any other STEM subject whilst in S5
- It would be expected that you will already have or be in the process of completing National 5s in at least one of the above subjects
- All applications must be supported by a positive reference from school to ascertain suitability for the course
Fife College will accept achievement of this course in addition to National 5s in Maths and English, to allow progression to:
- HND: Architectural Technology SCQF Level 8
- HND: Quantity Surveying SCQF Level 8
- HNC: Construction Management SCQF Level 7
- Quantity surveyor
- Architectural technologist
- Civil engineer
- Construction manager
- Building surveyor
- Structural engineer
- Building services engineer
- Landscape architect
- School college partnership