This Foundation Apprenticeship will allow you to gain a vocational qualification that combines specific sector skills in a work based context alongside the underpinning knowledge to support the skills.
You will study a National Progression Award (NPA) in Scientific Technologies and complete units from the Scottish Vocational Qualification (SVQ): Laboratory and Associated Technical Activities whilst in work placement.
- Competence in essential laboratory skills
- Presentation skills
- Time management
- Organisational skills
- Some of the topics you will study are: laboratory safety, experimental procedures, carry out scientific and technical tests, prepare compounds and solutions for use, fundamental chemistry and mathematics for science.
- Whilst on work placement you will gather evidence for the subjects that form part of the SVQ
- Prior to your informal discussion to ascertain suitability for the course, you will need to be planning to study a minimum of one Higher in a relevant science discipline whilst in S5
- It would be expected that you will already have or be in the process of completing four National 5s – which must include Maths and one Science discipline
FAs are accepted by colleges and universities as part of their entry requirements. For full details, check out apprenticeships.scot.
Fife College will accept achievement of the FA in Scientific Technologies as equivalent to two Highers which will support you to gain entry to:
- HNC: Applied Sciences SCQF Level 7
- A Modern Apprenticeship at SCQF Level 7
- Life Science industries: research, industrial, or clinical